31| afterthoughts

tw // degradation, slut-shaming

namjoon couldn't shake the image out of his head. even as he supposedly slept peacefully beside taehyung, having no troubles on his mind, he couldn't shake the way hoseok spoke in his defense to his own stepfather out of his ears and mind.

he tossed and turned in the bed, trying not to wake taehhung but also unable to contain his discomfort and worry.

"you know who he is. and we know what he's done."

"maybe, but touch a hair out of his head or i'll—"

"you'll, what?"

the words taunted hoseok, but he never backed down, never moved from his position in front of namjoon. daeho had laughed at hoseok's empty threat, and started pacing. namjoon had been on the verge of crying then, being openly exposed and threatened by daeho like this as if he was nothing—and maybe he had considered him so.

   "i know your plan, hoseok. you can't protect him forever."

   "what do you have against him?"

   hoseok asked that with so much anger that his whole body rocked as he spoke. namjoon was scared of what could happen now that daeho had confronted them about their plan; he knew everything. namjoon couldn't see hoseok's face, but he could see the back of his neck becoming red, radiating his fury.

   "what society has against him, what seokjin has against him—what everyone has against him, but they're just horny animals willing for a release!"

   namjoon wished he hadn't cried then, maybe it wouldn't have gotten worse. knowing daeho, however, he would have made it to be worse all on his own. his eyes turned to him, and he scoffed. hoseok, although a bit shorter, moved to block his view of daeho completely. the tension in the room was very overwhelming, namjoon just couldn't take it.

   "you crying, slut? you think if you shed pretty tears, everything i have against you is over?" he felt hoseok reach out behind him and push him back, and he took a step back and a deep, shuddered breath. he swallowed thickly once daeho's voice came closer. hoseok pushed him back again. "trust me, it's far from over. you can't disgrace the throne with the likes of him, and you can't hide this from your mother for long, hoseok. once she knows he saw your face when he wasn't supposed to, she'll have his head."

   "maybe i can't do either," namjoon felt another set of tears threatening to spill out of his lids. was that supposed to make him feel better? "but my mother does have common sense, and has forgiveness... as do i."

   for a moment, while namjoon kept thinking back to hoseok's words, he was convinced that whatever hoseok said was true, that he truly forgave him, considered him a fellow human being—but then, he remembered the whole reason he was protecting him in the first place: taehyung... he sulked again, unable to contain the sadness at the sudden loss of hope. it was all an act. of course.

   he didn't mean these words... surely.

   "as long as i stand here before you, daeho, nothing—nothing—will touch him with the reason of harm. not him, not taehyung, do you understand me?"

  a thought of hoseok being truly protective over him crossed his mind, but even then, he thought it was ridiculous. hoseok was doing this all for show, to keep him alive. he said himself that he couldn't care less about namjoon as long as taehyung was fine—and that hurt. taehyung's safety was important of course, but for namjoon... a human being disregarded by another really hurt.