7| bad news...

the veil was once again on his head when he moved through the hallways in the hospital. momentarily letting go of the whole previous situation (he didn't even know the guy's name, for god's sake), hoseok arrived at room 216, and sighed. behind him, seokjin patted his shoulder reassuringly and hoseok ignored it, knocking on the door instead.

"who is it?" came a feminine voice from inside the room, and hoseok swallowed around a thick lump in his throat. it has been so long, and he felt extremely guilty.

"it's me, mum."

¥¥¥

meanwhile inside the clinic, namjoon and taehyung were called, sitting in the visitor's seat in the doctor's office. taehyung preferred to sit on namjoon's lap instead of staying far away from him. on the desk was a tag that held the name: DR. PARK in a neat cursive, and sitting behind the desk was a man who was almost as elegant as the writing.

   before speaking to namjoon, however, he leaned forward to look at taehyung. "taehyung, do you like to colour?" he asked with a small smile, and taehyung took a second too long to answer with a nod. namjoon was confused, but let the doctor do his thing. "well, there are papers in the other room, and here," he took a few pens from his penholder and gave them to taehyung. "you can colour with these."

   taehyung looked back at namjoon for permission, the latter nodding hesitantly. taehyung grinned broadly, and took the pens from doctor park and rushed to the room next to them, which sparked the question: why?

"so he won't hear us." dr. park said in reasoning, and namjoon nodded, still puzzled. "so tell me, how did you find out taehyung's condition?" he asked, grabbing a notepad and a pen which he didn't give taehyung, and started jotting down notes.

namjoon tried to put his thoughts into words, "it was between a year and two years ago when it all began..." namjoon mumbled, fiddling with his fingers, and trying to recall what happened. "i don't remember much except that when i asked him where something was, he forgot where it was, and i was okay with that." he shifted in his seat, and continued talking at dr. park's encouraging nod. "and usually, he remembers our birthdays and plans the whole day for us... but when he forgot his own birthday... i started to worry. the next thing i know, he was starting lose balance while running, and i thought he just tripped over his own feet—but then his walking became terrible, and now he sorts of..." namjoon made a motion with his hands, clarifying something he didn't know and trying to embody it. "i just... i started carrying him around more often than i should, it's not right. he also has trouble sleeping."

"from then on you searched for anything that might be related to this?" dr. park said while jotting notes, not once looking at namjoon. namjoon nodded and continued speaking.

   "i started... um..." he had no idea how to tell dr. park that he works as a prostitute for a living, so he left that entire part out. "going to multiple jobs in order to get the money for taehyung's medication." that wasn't a lie, namjoon did go through the phase of multiple jobs at one time in his life. "because i couldn't afford it at the time—"

   "you couldn't afford it?" at that, the doctor looked up from his notepad to eye namjoon curiously. namjoon pursed his lips, not sure why park seemed confused— "what about your parents? are they unemployed?" he asked, leaning forward and namjoon tried as hard as he could to be professional, but he couldn't help the way his face fell. it was as if he was running a never-ending marathon and he tripped, taken aback by the question.