36| before the wedding

when taehyung saw namjoon in his white suit, his immediate thought was: wow, joon-hyung was handsome. and now a day later, at the eve of the wedding, he still kept thinking that as namjoon looked at himself in the mirror. he kept reassuring him every time that he looked good, and he would, the day after. he checked the calendar on namjoon's phone (with his permission) and noticed the date: 27th of December. his birthday was only a few days later.

then taehyung realized... they never really celebrated namjoon's birthday either. he was twenty three now, and taehyung didn't even notice, and he would turn... even older soon.

   he opened his mouth, eager to tell him, but he paused. why not make it... what was the word?

   "hyung," taehyung called, receiving a hum from namjoon in response as he carefully took off his blazer, in an attempt to not ruin it. he laid the piece of clothing gently on the bed before he moved to untie his black bow. "what the word for un-unexpected event for—for someone?" taehyung made a mental note to work on his stuttering, but not now.

   namjoon paused and looked at taehyung with a frown. he seemed to think about it too. "a surprise? a sudden—"

   "thank you!" taehyung exclaimed loudly, immediately writing it down.

   taehyung knew namjoon would be confused, but it was what he wanted. he was going to make his day and namjoon's (belated) day the best day of his life!

¥¥¥

   hoseok couldn't sleep.

the wedding was tomorrow, and everything was falling into place. it was just weird, the feelings he tried to force on himself became natural. he couldn't exactly remember why he fell, even though it has been a day or some day: was it because of his voice? the song? the fact that after all of that he's been through he was still so loving to taehyung and never burdened him with anything? was it the fact that all this captured hoseok's heart and mind in a tight loop, forcing him to remember the smallest details about namjoon? perhaps it was one of these reasons, and he couldn't bring himself to stop.

it was 20 minutes to midnight, and normally, he doesn't sleep early. however, it was an advice from weisoo to sleep early that day... he had a much busier one tomorrow. it wasn't fair, hoseok thought, because everyone got to stay up except for him—and his fiancé, who he doubted would abide by the advice and sleep.

he had his eyes closed, and his hands around the pillow. he pulled it tightly towards him, embracing the fact that this would be one of the last times he'd be able to sleep alone in his bed, unsure if namjoon would even want to.

did namjoon still think it was an act? did he have feelings for him, too? a small part of hoseok hoped that, maybe with a little encouragement, that namjoon would. else all of this, all of what he'd done would be in vain, and he'd be undeserving of living properly as the heir of jung jaejoong, previous king of seoul.

the door creaked open behind him. the sound sent shivers down his spine, and he tightened his grip around his pillow. he turned his head and upper body around just as the newcomer turned the lights on. he frowned in confusion and disbelief, fully turning to face the person at the door. "mum?" he asked. "w-what are you doing here? you're supposed to be at the—"

"downstairs. now."

¥¥¥

   hoseok was confused as to why his mother came back so late from the hospital, that the staff and nurses let her out, and the fact that weisoo, seokjin and daeho were standing just as dumbfounded as he was—at least with daeho, he should at least know why his wife, seemingly angry, stormed out of the hospital at night this angry, just to ask them all to come downstairs.