10| a discovery

namjoon felt guilty the moment he put his hand on the knob to open the door to his place. it was almost 3 in the morning by the time he was back, and he hoped nothing was wrong. taehyung called him in the middle of the show, and he it was ruined because of the phonecall... jeongguk, the person he performed with, was so angry that he almost punched him (well he did something similar to that). he's usually very calm and collected but he always felt a sense of distaste towards namjoon, for some reason.

he swallowed as he slowly pushed the door open, only to see the tv still on. when he walked towards the couch—only several steps—he saw taehyung awake, eating some popcorn.

how did he do that? namjoon asked himself, but he didn't really care as long as he was fine. "hey..." he mumbled. he then sat down beside taehyung, looking at the tv as well. "was something wrong? why did you call?" namjoon regretted sitting down harshly on the couch, because even if there was ointment to soothe the pain, it sure took its sweet time. namjoon's ass was on fire. thanks a lot, jeongguk.

   "oh, i... i—uh... i was—i just wanted to have some popcorn and i—uh—didn't know how to make it." taehyung admitted in a small voice, looking up at namjoon with wide, pleading eyes, and namjoon didn't want to be mad at him, but was this the emergency? he told taehyung to call him during emergencies only! he thought the house was on fire or something... god...

   "taehyung," he said as calmly as possible, while looking down at him and trying to not be stern. "you know that calling me is only for emergencies, right?" he asked, and taehyung immediately nodded his head, standing up on the couch to take namjoon's face in his hands.

"i know, so—so i only called once! i'm sorry if i did anything, hyung! i just forgot." taehyung said with a small, whining, pleading voice. namjoon stared at him, not wanting to tell him that he did do something, because: he just couldn't bring himself to tell him.

"alright, just remember next time, okay?" namjoon asked, stroking his little brother's back. he didn't get mad at him, he couldn't. taehyung was the only thing he had that didn't leave him, and ruining his relationship with him was the last thing he needed.

   namjoon gazed at the clock, heart pounding with every tick and tock it made. he then looked back at taehyung with a wary smile as he turned off the tv. "let's go get some sleep, yeah? before your appointment tomorrow." taehyung shrugged in response to namjoon, and then got off the couch. namjoon watched him run towards the bedroom, and all was peaceful until he stumbled and fell harshly.

   has it been two weeks already? man, time flies...

¥¥¥

the next morning, namjoon woke up to taehyung snuggling against his stomach, in the same position from a few hours prior. he grinned down at him, feeling thankful that he had some eye shutter in those few hours. deciding to not wake him up, namjoon got up as slowly and quietly as possible to make them both breakfast.

he searched through the fridge, and so far, he only had an almost empty box of cereal and milk. he knew he needed to get some later, maybe after they're out of the hospital. he poured some cereal into the bowl before adding milk, and then sighed. he rubbed his red-rimmed eyes, before going over to their room to wake taehyung up.

   "taetae, wake up!" namjoon said, shaking his younger brother gently. his shoulder was small—everything about him was small... he couldn't die now, not when he had so much to do. he was still too young—too small to go and leave namjoon. he couldn't help but think about the doctor's words, and he just wanted them to not be true.