Part 10

"David we're going to miss our flight if we don't leave right now." I holler at him from the front door.

"Two seconds, put your bags in the car I'll be right out." I sigh and drag my things out to the Tesla. Maybe I brought too many clothes but a week in Hawaii where I'll be swimming and walking around and going out to nice dinners requires basically three outfits a day. I go back into the house, looking for David about to scream at him again when he rounds the corner will his suitcase and backpack, camera and keys in his free hand.

"What are you waiting for?" He asks with a laugh, quickly throwing his things into the back and jogging to the driver's seat. I almost want to be a little annoyed that we're leaving for the airport nearly an hour later than I wanted, but I'm too excited. The Hawaii part is very exciting, but the idea of a whole week with David all to myself has got me on the edge of my seat.

"You're like about to burst right now." David laughs at me. "You're like a little girl on her way to Disney World."

"Well that's how I feel." He reaches out to grab my hand, resting them on my thigh.

"This is going to be really nice."

"Yeah if we actually make it there." I glance at the time.

"Yeah if we miss this flight we'd have to call off the whole thing." David laughs.

"What do you mean, there's other flights."

"Yeah but the number of flights from LA to Hawaii are not crazy high, and I had to really dig for these tickets."

"You did?"

"Ok, Taylor did."

"Well David! Why did we leave so late?" I anxiously check the time again. If traffic isn't bad, we will have just enough time.

"I'm sorry, I was uploading stuff to my computer and it was taking longer than I thought and I didn't want the footage to get fucked up so I needed it to finish and I needed Wi-Fi because-"

"It's fine, it is what it is now." I sigh and start bouncing my leg.

"It's ok, we'll make it. I'm the luckiest guy in the world!"

"We better."

Turns out, traffic on a Sunday night to the airport is actually pretty bad. David starts to crack, clearly also getting nervous.

"How about you just call and see if there's other flights today? Just in case." David suggests, making every attempt to go as fast as possible.

"Yeah, okay." I start making calls and finally get on the phone with a very old woman who can't really hear me but she is able to inform me that the next flight we'd be able to take is Thursday, just two days before we'd be leaving. I thank her and hang up.

"So that really wouldn't work I don't think." I say, checking the time and the google maps ETA.

"No because starting next week I'm going to New York for some interviews."

"Well David, I really don't think we're going to make it." I admit sadly.

"Natalie, I think we still can!" He says as he cuts off another car. Google says our ETA is just five minutes before our plane boards. And we have to park and make it all the way to the terminal before then.

David tries with all his might, nearly causing several accidents but when we finally pull into the parking garage five minutes after boarding has started, I decide there's no way we'll make it. David parks and jumps out of the car, going straight for the suitcases.

"Natalie, come on we have to run!"

"David we will not make it." I say, leisurely getting out of the car.

"Well not if we don't try." I check the time again to see it's already ten minutes after boarding has started. I've been to this airport enough times to know that we cannot make it across the entire building and through security in anything less than 45 minutes.

"Come on." I say with a sigh. David gives a face but puts the suitcases back into the car and closes the back.

"Aw, Natalie, I'm so sorry." He pulls me into a tight hug. "This was supposed to be a nice break for us, from work and the craziness. I fucked up."

"Yeah." I nod but add a chuckle at the end.

"What can I do to make it up to you?" David pulls back and puts his hands on my shoulders.

"Well, I am pretty hungry right now."

"Whatever you want, let's go." I decide I just want McDonalds, I've been eating super extra healthy to make sure I look good in my bikini but now I guess I'll say fuck it. We go through the drive through and park in the parking lot to eat.

"You know, we could get a hotel room and stay somewhere tonight at least." I smile at that but shake my head.

"I think I'd rather just go home."

"Okay it's freaking me out that you're mad at me but not yelling at me."

"I'm not really mad, just like, super disappointed."

"Oi, that's almost worst." He puts his hand on my knee and gives it a squeeze. He's got sauce in the corner of his mouth so I gently wipe it with my thumb.

It's been hard to feel mad at David lately. Obviously, our relationship has changed, all sorts of things about the way we work and how we communicate are different. So, I don't get super yell-y mad at him, because I better understand him and why that he is the way that he is sometimes. And I enjoy all those things. So, am I going to be mad at him for being super dedicated to getting his work taken care of just before leaving for vacation? I'm going to be mad at him when he truly did everything he thought he could with the situation he had? He wanted the best for it, it just didn't work out. I could be mad at him, but I'm not. I'm just super disappointed. I really just want to snuggle up on the couch with him for now, make something sweet maybe. Just push it out of my head because no amount of mad or loud I get will change it at all.