Chapter 57 - Demona

Warning: this is the last chapter of this book! Don't worry, there'll be a fourth book. Just enjoy the chapter and read the author's note at the end. Love you all!

Demona's point of view

"Maybe I should carry you over the threshold?" Eros offered, even though his hands were already full. I was opening the door to our apartment with my key while he carried the first of our boxes.

"I've lived her way longer than you have," I replied, laughing at him. "Save the carrying over the threshold for when we get married in the far, far future."

I swung open the door and sighed when I saw that all the old furniture was still in there. The couch that I'd watched so many movies on, the battered old chairs, the table with the scratches on the legs from when I had glued pink glitter to it and Mom had tried to get it off with a knife... There were so many childhood memories in here. This truly was my home.

"A little help would be nice," Eros called. He had already dropped the first two boxes in the kitchen and was walking back to the car to get the next one.

I hurried outside and picked up a heavy box, delighting in how easy it was for me to lift it now that I was a full vampire. I remembered that first night at Van Swieten, struggling with my bags in the parking lot. I'd been happy to let Eros carry my stuff back then. Now, I didn't need him to do that for me anymore. I was just as strong as he was.

"Stop day-dreaming and carry it inside," he commented as he walked past me. "Lifting a box isn't actually all that helpful if you don't bring it inside."

Laughing, I did as he told me to and dropped the box off in my bedroom. Nothing much had changed in there, even though Eros had been crashing there for a while now. We'd definitely need to redecorate if this was going to be our bedroom. Although Mom's room was bigger, so maybe we should buy a new bed and put it in there...

"Demona," Eros complained half-heartedly. "I get that you want to go down memory lane and stare at everything in this place, but we really need to empty the car first." He smiled at me with so much love that I knew he wasn't really mad at me. "The sooner we unpack, the sooner we can start talking about all the awful furniture in here that we'll need to replace."

"Hey!" I yelled after him, running outside with him. "We're not just gonna get rid of all the furniture!"

"Of course not," he agreed, grinning. "At least I got you back outside to help." He handed me a pink suitcase and slapped my ass. "Hurry up, we're halfway through!"

Once everything had been unloaded from the car that had truly been stuffed to the brim, Eros wanted to start unpacking right away. I understood why – he would be able to put his own stuff in here for the first time since he'd moved here – but I had another idea. A better one.

"What are you doing?" Eros asked when I pulled him with me to my old bedroom.

I remained silent and closed the door behind us. I let go of his hand and slowly walked toward the bed, making sure to lock eyes with him as I kicked off my shoes and sat down on the edge.

"Oh no," Eros said, backing away immediately. "I told you, we're not-"

"Come on," I pleaded. "Everyone said that we could. There is no danger anymore. And I promise I'll give the mind control back to you immediately after."

Eros shook his head, but I knew that he wanted this as much as I did. "We can't, Demona. At least, I can't. After last time, I just don't-"

Before he could finish his sentence, someone rang the bell, filling the apartment with that annoying buzzing sound. Agitated, I got up from the bed, making my way to the door. Eros stepped aside, trying to get himself under control again. As much as he hated to admit it, he was already worked up just from seeming me on the edge of the bed, without even touching me. I felt quite certain that I was going to win this fight with him.