chapter twenty-three: adopted

I groaned and flopped onto jakob and i’s bed before a knock sound on the door frame, I looked up and he looked at me grinning “when are we heading out” he said. 
    I sighed and smiled “give me a couple minutes work really tired me out”I said, he nodded and left for the kitchen.
   I got up and looked around the house had definitely been decorated and looked more like house sense we moved in, well of course it had its been a year sense jakob and I had gotten married and now we were making another huge step. I glanced down at my ring and smiled before changing and meeting jakob in the car.
   We arrived at the place, jakob got out and helped me out of the car and held my hand as we entered the huge brick Victorian building. We stopped in front of a line where a lady was sitting behind an oak desk writing on some papers.
    “Hello...you must be Mr. And Mrs. Rodriguez?” She said peering up, I still found it weird that I was being called mrs. But whatever. Jakob nodded “yes we are...” he replied, she smiled and stood up “follow me...now the only thing about these children is they do have some different issues like disorders and stuff like that so make sure your decision is the right one” she said opening a larger door that lead to a room full of playing kids. 
​​​​​​​    I cringed slightly at the sight of cheerful kids but smiled slightly as jakob went to talk to a little girl who looked to be about 4. I looked around the room at the kids none of them catching my eye until I turned around and locked eyes with a boy who was about 10 sitting in the corner reading a book.
     He had short curly black hair, crystal blue eyes and multiple scars on his arms, I cocked my head to the side and went over to him. He didn’t notice me until I sat down and he flinched slightly scooting away, “your a cautious one...good quality to have...” I said. 
    He raised an eyebrow and looked at me “what are you reading?” I asked, pointing to the slightly old looking book. He hesitated but handed the book to me, I opened the broken spined book and read the cover my eyes lighting up at the familiar words “Gone With The Wind” I looked at the boy and handed the boy back.
    “How old are you?” I asked, he  held up his fingers and I counted them realising he must’ve been a mute. “12 huh...and your reading a book like that...you must be really smart...” he looked away embarrassed and I smiled leaning back on the bench “you know...that’s one of my favorites...I’ve read it so many times I could recite the whole book...” I said.
    The boy looked at me again, his eyes lighting lighting up. I smiled “tell me...how long have you been here?” I asked, he frowned and held up his fingers again, I smiled gently “4 years huh...well what would you think about living with me and my husband?” I asked, he cocked his head to the side as jakob came over and smiled.
    The boys eyes lit up and he nodded, I chuckled and stood up holding out a hand for him to take, he grinned and took it as we made our way to fill out papers.

     “So, Kylan what would you like for dinner? I made a chart so you can write it down” I said pointing to the fridge, he ran over and looked at it before pointing at tokoyaki, I grinned and ruffled his hair.
“Good choice”