Chapter 17: Training

Chapter 17: Training (1986)

Gannon strides to the front of the training area. He raises his arms to get the men's attention and they fall silent. "As many of you know, my parents are very traditional wolves. My mother would never dream of fighting against an enemy. She would be clueless if a situation arose where she needed to protect herself."

I tilt my head, wondering where Gannon is going with this.

Gannon continues, "How many of you would agree that almost all of the women in the pack are the same way?"

Hands shoot up everywhere.

"And while we may feel good as protectors that our mates and women rely on us for their protection, it should also make us uneasy. Thinking about our emergency protocols if the pack is attacked, the women are still a vulnerable spot for us."

"As a solution, Alpha Princeton has decided to arrange for defensive training for the women of the pack. I am proud to announce that my mate, Christine will be leading these training sessions. She was a warrior in her old pack and was a member of the head of security's family. By the Alpha's orders, she is to be given the full respect due to a Beta of the pack."

My face is flushed red and there is a wide smile on my face.

"I refuse to let my mate fight!" An angry red-headed wolf shouts from the far side of the crowd. Several men make noises of agreement.

Gannon holds his hand up. "Don't misunderstand. None of the women will be warriors. This will be purely for self-defense. This training is a way for you to protect your mate, depriving her of these lessons would be endangering her by leaving her defenseless."

The crowd is buzzing with comments and conversations. Gannon raises his arms and once again the men silence themselves. "Talk about this with your mates and families. If you have questions or concerns, bring them to the attention of myself, Alpha Princeton, or any of the security team. We want this to be a move that strengthens our pack. Dismissed."

They disperse slowly, some of them approaching Gannon. Most seem to be curious, responding to whatever Gannon is saying with head nods and thoughtful looks. But the same red-headed wolf from earlier, approaches. No matter what Gannon says, he responds aggressively.

Grover steps closer to me, his hand resting on the small of my back. "Relax, Kitten. Gannon is a good Beta. He is trying to be diplomatic but if Markham takes it too far, Gannon will put him in his place."

I nod but keep watching the conversation.

"Hey," Grover says.

I tear my eyes away to look at him.

Grover gives me a smile. "Congratulations. You have an invaluable position in this pack. You have an appointment with the Alpha now that the training session is over. Why don't you mindlink Gannon and I'll walk you back to the palace?"

I send Gannon a quick goodbye and Grover and I stroll up the Alpha's office. Grover knocks on the door and then steps back. "I'll be waiting here when you're finished."

I give him a grin and enter the office.

Alpha Princeton is seated at his desk, studying some paper in front of him. He smiles up at me and puts the papers off to the side before picking up a folder. "Have a seat Christine. I was hoping to discuss the training program."

During our discussion, my respect for Alpha Princeton rises even more. He asks smart questions and defers to me when we broached a subject that was in my wheelhouse. We shake hands before I rejoin Grover in the hallway and he smiles at the grin on my face.