Chapter 16: Arguing

Grover and I were warming up, waiting for Anna to come train when Gannon got my attention over the mindlink.

Kitten?

I grinned and held up a finger for Grover to give me a minute. Good morning, Master.

Are you with Grover?

I send him a teasing image of Grover and I all sweaty. Gannon groans in my head and I giggle and wink at Grover.

Alpha Princeton wants you to accompany Grover to his scheduling training today. He wants you to observe and then discuss with Grover what you see. I'm trying to decipher how Gannon feels about all this. I frown and look at Grover.

Grover takes two steps towards me and grabs my chin. "Ask him."

I tilt my head in confusion.

"Kitten, whatever it is that you're upset about, just ask him. You both always assume the worst." Gannon tells me gently.

And what do you want me to do? I ask tentatively. Grover starts to step back but I grab his hand to keep him close.

Gannon sighs in my head. You're very talented at sparring, Christine. But the thought of you getting hurt, even accidentally, is driving me insane.

I bristle. How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not some fragile flower that you need to protect!

Grover puts a hand on my shoulder and watches me carefully.

A wave of frustrations comes from Gannon. He growls in my head and I growl right back at him.

I am a capable, strong warrior. If I can make my pack stronger or better in some way, why shouldn't I do it?

Because you are more precious to me! Gannon roars. I don't want to worry about you putting the pack's needs ahead of your needs. I don't want to worry about you. Period.

I bite my lip and take a deep breath.

Gannon's guilt is immediately there. I didn't mean it like that. I meant that I want to know that you are safe at all times. It makes it easier for me to do my job if I know that you are safe.

I know my hurt is leaking through our connection even if I'm trying to contain it. It is easier for you to take risks and put yourself in harm's way if I'm safe? Gannon, I'm not even leaving the palace grounds. It's nothing different from what I do with Grover and Anna every day.

At once, our connection feels cold. I told you what the Alpha's orders are. If you won't obey my orders perhaps you will obey his. And then our mind link is cut.

"Son of a -" I stamp my foot and curl my hands into fists. I want to run, want to pound on something.

Grover grabs my chin again and forces my eyes to his. "What did he say?"

I fill Grover in on our conversation. By the end, Grover is shaking his head.

"It shocks me the rapidity with which you can swing from being the sweet, saucy submissive to the fiery, independent warrior-wolf. It's dizzying and you're confusing the hell out of Gannon every time you do it."

"Why can't he like both parts of me? I'm pretty sure he only likes the quiet submissive little Kitten from the bedroom." I practically shout at Grover. I push away from him and head towards the woods.

"Christine." Grover stops and changes to a more commanding tone. "Kitten. Stop."

I stop in my tracks and breathe hard.

"Look at me."

I turn and meet Grover's green eyes.

He walks towards me and puts his hand on my cheek. "A relationship goes both ways, Kitten. Whenever the topic comes up, you instantly go on the defensive rather than considering what your mate is saying."