Chapter 3: More Waiting

As promised, Grover arranges for Anna and I to train and it feels good not only to stretch my muscles but to feel useful, even if it is only for an hour each day. The days fall into a routine. Grover and Edinboro follow Anna and I to each activity and meal. As the week goes on, Eddie seems to get more uptight and irritated but Grover has relaxed and jokes easily with Anna and I.

On Friday morning, Anna's phone rings. Anna goes out in the hall to answer it, making a wave of jealousy run through me. I check my phone. Grover studies me. "Anything?"

"Not even a text," I mutter. I contemplate chucking my phone across the room.

Anna comes back in, glowing. "They're coming back a day early!" She bounces on the couch beside me.

"All of them?" I ask, my face lighting up.

Anna's face falls. "Princeton just said he and Townsend."

I stand up and start to walk out. Anna grabs at my hand, "Christine, please-"

I shake her off. "I just need a minute."

I stalk to my room. No, to Gannon's room, I tell myself. I slam open the door and stand shaking in the middle of the floor.

"Why don't you call him?"

I spin around to see Grover leaning against the doorframe watching me.

"No." I bite out.

"Give him a break Christine, call him and find out what's going on." Grover says again.

"Give him a break? Give him a break?" I feel my control breaking. "Call him? Call the man who apparently doesn't care enough to send me a text all week long to let me know that he's okay? Call the wolf who apparently doesn't give a shit about me?"

I feel my wolf wanting to shift. I want to run. I want to destroy things. I clench my fists feeling the nails biting into my palms. I turn on Grover. "I will not call the piece of sh!t who abandoned me in this stupid pack! He left me in a room that's not mine, and with people I don't know!"

"Calm down." Grover says mildly.

"No! NO! I want to break Gannon's stupid neck right now. I want to leave-"

"CHRISTINE! Sit. Down." Grover orders with a low growl.

I close my mouth and collapse Indian style onto the floor. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little turned on by the dominance in his voice.

Grover closes the door and stalks over to stand over me. I look up at him and bite my lip. He kneels down and looks me straight in the eye. "I know you're frustrated. I know you are lonely and that you miss Gannon. But what you are saying is unacceptable."

I drop my head and feel the tears well up in my eyes.

"Look at me," Grover says gently.

I raise my head. Grover studies me for a minute.

"Call Gannon," he says sternly.

I wiggle the tiniest bit as he orders me around. I am definitely going to need to change my panties. I pick up my cell phone and start the call.

"Good girl," Grover says softly, standing up and going out in the hallway. I wiggle again. Yep, definitely going to need different panties.

Gannon picks up on the fifth ring. "Christine?"

"Is everything okay?" I ask quietly.

Gannon swears under his breath and I can hear him moving. "Christine, are you okay?"

"Yes." I whisper.

"Good. I'll see you soon." Gannon ends the call.

I pull my knees up to my chest and sob. I hear Grover open the door and I can feel him stand hesitantly beside me.

"I'm sorry," he finally says.

"It's fine." I whisper. "He's busy. I shouldn't have called."

Grover frowns but doesn't say anything. I wipe the tears off of my cheeks and chin and climb to my feet. "Come on, Anna is probably setting up the games right now."

Grover follows me through the hallway.

Anna meets me at the doorway to her suite. "Christine! Are you alright?"

I force a grin onto my face. "Of course! Let's play."

After the game, Grover and I walk back to my room. I stop outside the door. "I don't really feel like going in."

Grover raises an eyebrow at me. "What would you like to do instead?"

"Your room." I say bluntly.

Grover leans against the door. "No."

The hurt must have flashed across my face. Grover sighs. "Christine, you're hurting. You barely know me."

I nod.

"Besides, I'm a little afraid of Gannon," Grover says with a grin.

A small smile breaks onto my face. "Do you have a mate, Grover?"

His face becomes hard. "Go inside Christine. Try calling your mate again."

"I-I didn't mean-" I stutter.

"Good night." Grover says, his voice tired. He turns and starts walking away from me, down the hall.

Ugh! I open the door and for the second time that day, try to resist the urge to throw things. I pick up my phone and send Gannon a text.

At two o'clock in the morning, my phone rings.

"'Ello?"

"Christine?" Gannon's deep voice is soothing on the other end of the line. "I'm so sorry about earlier. I was- well- it's a long story but it wasn't a good time and I was worried that something had happened to you."

"I'm fine." I tell him.

Gannon sighs. "I know, but I was worried and it wasn't a good time to take a phone call. I was relieved when you said you were all right but then things got complicated on my end."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh mate, it's not your fault. Not at all. I'm sorry I was an ass and hung up on you. I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to call you." Gannon says sweetly. "Did Anna tell you that we are coming home early?"

I shook my head and then remembered that he couldn't see me. "Alpha Princeton only mentioned that he and Townsend were coming."

"Shit! Princeton!" He calls out to the Alpha who must be somewhere near him. "Why the hell didn't the Luna know I was coming too?"

I can faintly hear the rumble of Alpha Princeton's voice and Gannon growls lowly.

"I'm sorry, mate. Apparently Alpha Princeton was too distracted by his mate to-" There's a sudden scuffling on Gannon's end and I can hear Alpha Princeton and Gannon swearing and a tussling around before Townsend tells them loudly to break it up.

I can't help but smile when Gannon comes back on the phone.

He is breathless. "Sorry, love. Anyways, we are driving home now. We should be there by early afternoon tomorrow. Get some sleep."

"Good night Gannon."

"Good night, my mate." 

***Not going to lie, I'm not a super fan of this chapter but it is semi-necessary to get to the sexy parts. ***