Chapter 13: Denying

Chapter 13: Denying

When I wake up in the morning, Drexel is standing mechanically beside the door.

"Where's Grover?" I ask, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"I have been reassigned to your protection detail, Beta." Drexel says.

I fold my arms across my chest. "That's not what I asked."

Anna appears behind me, stifling a yawn. "Where's Grover?"

I throw my hands up in the air. "That's what I just asked!"

Anna shoots me a weird look before turning back to Drexel. "You don't have to stand by the door the whole time. Come eat breakfast with us."

"No thank you, Luna." Drexel responds. Other than his mouth moving to answer us, I don't think he has moved a muscle.

Anna plops into the chair and grabs a piece of toast.

I glare at Drexel again before sitting opposite of her. I mindlink Gannon. Why isn't Grover here?

It takes a minute for Gannon to respond. What do you mean? Are you alone?

Drexel, the robot, is guarding the door. I wonder briefly if sarcasm plays well through the mindlink. I think it does.

A quick flash of worry comes through from Gannon. Let me talk to the Alpha about it Pet.

I shoot another glare at Drexel. Your days here are numbered robot boy, we've got the big dogs working on this case. Anna's cell phone rings; it's Princeton's ringtone.

Are you guys okay? I ask Gannon.

Just missing you, Pet.

I need you to come home. I'd like more of what happened the morning that you left.

Gannon chuckles in my head. Me too, Pet.

I miss you, Master. I hope he can feel the longing in those words.

I miss you, Pet. I have quite a few ideas I'd like to try out when I return.

Anna finishes her phone call and goes into the bedroom to get dressed. I follow her. "What did Princeton have to say?"

Anna shrugs. "He was mostly asking about the guard situation and if I knew why Grover had left."

"So they didn't tell the Alpha about the change in your guard?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Apparently not." Anna replies.

"Someone is going to be in deep sh!t." I predict with an evil smile.

Both of our phones ring almost simultaneously. Our mates are calling to tell us they are coming home.

Anna and I stand in the entryway, having convinced Drexel that we would be safe enough there. Well, maybe we didn't so much convince, as command. But still. Anna bites her nails, staring out the window.

"Maybe we should have done something else to keep us occupied?" I suggest.

Anna waves my concern away. "Princeton said they were close. Only a couple hours away."

We stare out the window again. I am worried about Grover. This has to be the longest I've gone without seeing him since I've arrived at the palace. He hasn't answered any of my texts and Drexel refuses to reveal any information about his whereabouts. I start to worry that someone has found out about us. But I dismiss it. If Anna isn't suspicious, there is no way anyone else can be. I know one thing for certain. I want both Gannon and Grover in my bed tonight.