Chapter 40 | Anticipation

Wednesday, May 13
There is one month left until the third task, and until the end of school, which would be the last week of June.

It's been incredible, your stay at Hogwarts. You learned so many things about not just magical academics but also about the wizarding world around you.

Before you came here, you knew little to nothing about how your Hogwarts stay would be. In fact, before you even got on the Hogwarts Express, you thought you would have an awful time.

Obviously, you were wrong. You've made lots of friends and you've learned how the world works here.

It was like nothing you've ever experienced before.

Hell, you even found yourself a boyfriend. Before Hogwarts, there was not even the consideration of having you as a girlfriend. Sure, it kind of sucked but you didn't even care at that time. It wasn't always about boys, even though your friends (Jasmyn) could get pretty obsessed with guys.

Maybe if anyone ever wanted you, you'd be interested. But that wasn't the case. Not until Fred, who did and does want you, for whatever reason. Of course, you would always be grateful for that, no matter what happened.

~Flashback~

"(Y/N)..." Jasmyn was whining. You giggled at her.

"What?"

Jasmyn wore a sour expression. Was she thinking about Dylan again? "He won't answer me. It's making me maaaaaad."

She flopped down on the bed, feigning heartbreak. You rolled your eyes and took a seat next to her. "Jazzy, we've been over this. What have we said?"

"Boys are dumb," she replied, giggling. She snatched your brush from the desk and sat up to brush her long, blonde hair.

"Not that," you said, rolling your eyes. "Boys are a waste of time, unless they're your friends. You and Dylan aren't friends."

Jasmyn put aside her childish demeanor. "Well, we used to be." She was referring to her middle school friendship with Dylan.

Back then, they didn't have any sort of romance or distrust between them. It was just you three, you, Dylan, and Jasmyn.

Then, Jasmyn and Dylan caught feelings, leaving you behind in the dust. They started going off on their own which, go figure, made you lonely.

Eventually, they got together. That was a terrible time. Jasmyn called you in the middle of the night, crying, sometimes. You always had the urge to tell her to go away and bother her other friends, but you never did.

After just a year, they broke it off and Jasmyn came to apologize to you. It was just you two again, and it was sweet.

She still talks to Dylan, because of course she still loves him. You can't blame her for that. You were just happy she left him alone most of the time and hung out with you almost every day.

Today, wasn't any different. Soon, she dropped the subject of her ex and suggested you two go get ice cream. Of course you agreed.

"I'll really miss you, (Y/N)," Jasmyn said, one evening at the ice cream parlor, looking exceptionally solemn.

You licked your spoon, sighing. "I wish I didn't have to go. Come on, a whole different country? That's crazy!"

Jasmyn sent a withering glare at your mom and step-father, and thankfully, their backs were turned. "I don't see how he could find such a better job in England."

You shrugged, trying to avoid the subject. In reality, he wasn't looking for a better job. Your mother was just forcing you to go to a "magical" school. Sure, Mom. It was probably just another regular boarding school.

You went on a bike ride after that. It would be your last one there, but you didn't realize.

You and Jasmyn tried to be as cheerful as possible. Jazzy even suggested she sneak into one of your suitcases. It made you laugh.

It was getting dark. You'd have to go back home with Jasmyn, since, luckily, your parents let you have one last sleepover until you had to leave.

As you walked back with your bikes, Jasmyn pointed to the neighbor's house and teased, "Will you miss them?"

You stuck your tongue out. Of course, out of everything you would miss, the neighbor's wouldn't come up to the top 50.

Okay, maybe you would wish you could still make fun of them with Jasmyn. Everything with Jasmyn you would miss.

"Hey, (N/N)," Jasmyn asked as you got inside the house.

"Hmm?"

She had a serious tone. "Will you miss me?"

You threw her into a hug and cried, "I'll miss you most out of everything here!"

She seemed better after that. When you two got upstairs, she was on her best behavior. She didn't mention Dylan or another boy at all, which was refreshing. You and her had a wonderful time, listening to karaoke and playing truth or dare.

When you had to leave for the airport, Jasmyn was trying to hold back tears. You were as well. You said your last goodbyes and promised to write or text her, and then left.

Neither one of your parents tried to bother you until you got out of the car, into your new home.

~~~~
Published 5-2-20

Just put in a little backstory for Jasmyn, since we know next to nothing about her.

Did you like this chapter?

Happy reading!