Chapter 16 | Poisoned?

Thursday, January 2
You woke up early the next morning for a fresh start in your classes. Hermione awoke while you got dressed (with your necklace) and you ended up leaving the dormitory and common room with her.

For breakfast, you had a big plate, and saw Fred and George join you and the non-snoozer-losers. Fred sat beside you, and ran his fingers through his hair, yawning, and then coughing.

"What's up, (L/N)?" He greeted, half-smiling and licking his lips, eyeing your food wearily.

You gave him a poke. "Tired?"

He nodded and grabbed some fresh hash browns. You wondered why he seemed to not get much sleep. You decided against asking. Instead, you just smiled and finished eating. You waited for Fred, but he took forever to eat his small plate of hash browns.

You went with him to your first class, Herbology. He hardly understood what was happening around him, and tripped over a root heading to the class. He nearly stepped on Hector, too, which was a huge red flag and caused Hector to fly out of the class.

"Fred, are you alright?" You finally whispered to him while Professor Sprout was lecturing about plants, as she does.

"I'm well good, (Y/N)," he said, nodding. "Just couldn't get much sleep, y'know?"

You still felt a bit worried, but you nodded back and turned to Professor Sprout.

At the end of class, Fred was hysterical. He kept giggling to himself even after you left, he had multiple coughing fits, and he was shivering from the cold, even with his multiple layers of clothing.

You took him inside the castle and put the back of your hand against his forehead. "You're burning up!"

"No," he said, grinning, "I'm cold, remember? You must be burning..." He coughed into his elbow.

You shook your head, frowning. "I think you're sick. I'm taking you to Madam Pomfrey."

He shook his head and tried to smile, but you both knew he was coming down with something.

You linked your arm with his to keep him steady and walked him to the hospital wing.

"Ah, Miss (L/N)," Madam Pomfrey said as you walked Fred in. "What trouble has brought you here?"

You smiled and shook your head. "Wasn't me this time, Madam, I swear. He has been coughing and shivering all day; I think he must be sick." You sat Fred down on a bed and allowed Madam Pomfrey to stick a thermometer in his mouth. When she pulled it out, she pursed her lips and frowned.

"101°. He's better stay in here for a bit, until he gets better."

You furrowed your eyebrows. "But, Madam, how long will he be here?"

She raised a brow. "Few days at least. You go on, get to class. You can come back after your classes are ALL over. I don't want this boy to distract you from your education." She shooed you out and you headed to Charms alone.

"Sorry, Professor Flitwick," you mumbled at him as you walked in, realizing you were late. "I had to take a sick student to Madam Pomfrey."

He nodded. "Have a sit and we'll start."

At the end of Potions, Professor Snape was a bit annoyed at your lack of concentration, but you couldn't help but wonder about Fred, hoping he gets better. It was only the first day back for the both of you.

After both of your afternoon classes, Potions and DADA, you were relieved to go to the hospital wing.

There were several teachers hovering over Fred's bed and you managed to spot Professors Snape, Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Madam Pomfrey. Then, you saw Ron and George, with worried looks on their faces.

"What is it?" You called, hurrying over.

"I'm afraid you need to step back, Miss (L/N)," Professor Snape said.

"What happened?" You asked. You ignored him and pushed your way to Fred. You gasped and put a hand to your mouth.

He was foaming at the mouth and was shaking violently on the bed. Whenever someone would come close, he'd start to mumble loudly, words nobody could comprehend.

You came up. "Blimey, Fred, what the hell did you-"

"Language." Professor McGonagall furrowed her brows at you.

You turned to her. "What happened to Fred? What did he eat or drink? Was he poisoned? Who did it, Professor??" You looked at Fred again and back to Madam Pomfrey. "DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!"

She was already over there, and frowned at a bottle. "This is out of my hands. I gave him some liquid medicine to try and make him throw up, but he spilled it everywhere."

You leaned down to Fred and snatched the bottle of medicine Madam Pomfrey was referring to.

"What are you doing? Stop that, at once!"

"Someone hold him down," you ordered.

"For goodness's sake!" McGonagall took the medicine from you and snapped her fingers at you and George.

George held down Fred's arms while you held his mouth open, cursing at him and trying to get him to stay calm while McGonagall dropped the medicine down his throat.

"Swallow, Fred," you said, firmly. He looked at your for a split second and you wondered if he understood.

He swallowed the medicine and then stopped shaking.

"Someone get him a bucket," Professor McGonagall said as he began gagging.

You and George found a trash can next to his bed and you gave it to Fred. He grabbed it and started puking up what ever he had last eaten.

Professors McGonagall and Snape looked away in disgust, but you pulled back his hair to keep the chunks from getting on it. George patted his back. "Way to go, champ, you're alive another day!"

You glared at George and when Fred was done throwing up, you gave the trash can to George and got some baby wipes. You wiped Fred's mouth off and wiped some fleshy things off of his chin, asking, "Are you okay, Fred? Please be okay, Fred."

He grinned as you threw away the wipes and came back with more to try and get some off from his uniform.

"(Y/N), I'm alright. Really, I am. I've got all my teeth and my parts are all intact if that's what you're worried about," he answered, winking.

"Oh, Merlin," Professor McGonagall mumbled.

You laughed. "I wasn't particularly worried about that."

"Well, seeing as your patient is all well, " Professor Dumbledore started, "Minerva and I shall be off. Come along, you too, Severus. These students are in good hands. No need to spoil such a touching moment."

Madam Pomfrey handed Fred some water. As he gulped it down, cringing at the taste, you, George, and Ron asked him many questions, like what did he eat that poisoned him, who gave it to him, etc.

"I dunno. I think some girl came up and tried to seduce me. Who knew I was so brave to take a drink from such a cute, but mysterious and probably villainous girl?"

You felt a bit jealous, but pushed down the feeling and asked, "Why the hell would you trust a stranger giving you some wack-ass potion?"

"Yeah," Ron agreed, frowning at his idiot brother.

"Dunno. It sounded fun, having a babe on my side, offering a one in a lifetime chance to get laid."

"Oh, as if! She just wanted to murder you!" you scoffed.

"Ooo, looks like someone's jealous," Fred teased.

"My only concern is that you just nearly died right here, Fred Weasley, so you can shut your trap." You rolled your eyes.

Fred and George both raised their eyebrows, and you walked out of the room. You needed to talk to Hermione. These boys couldn't be more frustrating.

~ ~ ~ ~
Published 1-5-20

I wonder who gave Fred that potion?