Chapter 5 | Quidditch

Sunday, September 7

You had asked Fred very early that next day if he wanted to hang out. Fred, naturally, said yes.

He asked you, "Do you want to learn how to play Quidditch?"

You had a basic idea of what Quidditch was, because your mother was a huge fanatic once.

You agreed to let him show you how to play.

~~~~

"Now, Quidditch is a fine art that takes years and years of practice to master. But in this case, you have an amazing teacher. Who knows what will happen."

You chuckle as he takes out a heavy box and sets in on the grass in front of you. He opens the lid.

You clutch a spare broom (Fred still has yet to teach you how to ride it) and watch as he pulls out a red leather ball called the Quaffle.

"Basically there are two teams with seven players on each. Two Beaters, one Keeper, three Chasers, an one Seeker. The Chasers throw this-" he holds up the Quaffle, "-into the enemy's goals to get 10 points."

"And the others?"

"The Keeper defends their team's goals, the Beaters, George and I, try to hit the Bludgers towards the other team's players to keep them from winning. The Seeker looks for the Golden Snitch, which is this tiny golden ball." He points to a small golden sphere that's strapped down.

"If the Seeker finds it, the game immediately ends and his team gains one hundred and fifty points. Crazy, right?"

"Yeah," you agreed. "That's all nifty, but if I want to learn, I'm going to have to start with the broom."

"Alright," Fred responded. "I'll show you."

Suddenly he was behind you and he positioned the broom under you two. He grabbed the part of the broom that was in front of you, trying not to hit your thighs.

"Fred, why are we-" You gasped in the middle of the sentence when you realized you two were in the air.

You gripped the broom so tight that your knuckles turned white and you clamped your legs together. Fred went slow at first, around the field and the goals to let you get a feel for the space you were in.

He had to steer around the field several times for you to become comfortable enough to drive the broom yourself.

He let go and put his hands on your waist but the broom was shaky and slow when you drove it.

Soon, you began to feel at ease with the broom and navigated it around easily. You cheered after doing some fancy loops and hoops.

"I'm doing it! I'm learning, Freddy!"

"Freddy?" He laughed at the name and put his head on your shoulder. "I think I like that."

You gulped and swerved around to the box, changing the subject before it even started. "Let's go ahead and play now that I know how to ride a broom."

He got off your broom and went onto his. "I'm not getting the Bludgers out because I don't feel like dealing with them without George, so I'll just defend the goals."

He tossed you the Quaffle and sped off to the hoops on the right side. You bolted after him and before he could get to the goals, you threw in the Quaffle.

"That was easy!" You commented after he gave you the ball again.

"Don't get cocky!" He teased.