37.

Nathan

My wolf was pacing in my mind. The fact that we had to stay away from our mate for a few hours did not sit well with him too. 

I had become addicted to her and I did not mind at all. Since Sophia my whole life had turned upside down, but in the best way possible. The feeling that something had been missing in my life had vanished and had been replaced by Sophia.

Sweet, beautiful Sophia. And she was mine. Forever.

I still could not believe that the moon goddess had chosen her for being my match, because more often than not I caught myself thinking that Sophia was too good for me.

She was gentle, always considerate and pure.

Sophia was everything I was not. But then again, maybe that was the exact reason why she was my mate. Sophie completed me.

My wolf whined in my mind, missing Sophia and my hands formed to fists when I too felt the urge to run to her.

The only thing that kept me sane was the bond I could clearly feel with Sophia so I knew she was okay and close by.

I took a deep breath letting the knowledge of her safety rushing over me and tried to concentrate on the conversation again.

Silas was currently explaining to Levin, Oliver, dad and his Beta how he wanted to attack the Mercy pack. I really admired his determination wanting to free his pack from the cruel leadership of his parents and I was more than ready to participate in the war he wanted to initiate. Just thinking about how the Alpha and Luna of the Mercy pack had treated Sophia or more punished her for every little thing she had done made me see red and brought me close to shifting.

I wanted their blood, but I knew that Silas had to kill his father in order for him to become the next Alpha. Another stupid custom, but I was aware that Silas would kill his father whether there was a tradition or not. He too wanted to revenge not only for Sophia, but also for his pack members and himself. I admired this about him.

"You were really busy this last week.", I acknowledged when I heard how many packs Silas had visited over the last week and had convinced to join him in the upcoming war.

Silas nodded his head, but his mind seemed elsewhere.

"You think they're prepared?", I questioned him, not wanting to underestimate his father, who was also called the Alpha of war.

Silas brooding blue eyes met mine and I saw a certainty in it, which made me believe that whether his father was prepared or not, Silas would not give up without trying.

"I think that it has been too calm since I came here."

I nodded, feeling the same uneasiness as Silas and asked, "So what's the plan?"

For the next hour I actually managed to focus my attention on the conversations being held in my father's office when I suddenly felt thunderstruck.

My heart felt like it was torn in two and my knees could not hold me up any longer. The pain coursing through me was really intense, but all I could think about was Sophia.

I tried to mind link her only to realize that I could not. Something was wrong and feelings of despair and dread rushed over me. Somewhere I found the strength to fight the pain and managed to get up. 

I had to get to my mate.

My wolf howled in my mind and I was close to shifting.

"Nathan!", I heard my father suddenly roar and my eyes locked with his.

The others had gathered around us and looked worriedly at me, except Silas who looked expactantly at the door.

Milena then entered and I saw Silas' rigid posture slightly relax.

"Where's Sophia?", Silas and I demanded to know.

"At the orphanage, but she'll arrive any minute now.", Milena responded looking confused at our stern tone.

Not being able to contol my wolf any longer I let him take over and shifted right then and there. He quickly ran outside my father's office and followed the enticing scent of my mate to the orphanage.

However, nobody was there and my wolf started to whine. Where was Sophia? Her scent was still fresh and I could not smell her leaving the house.

"Do you smell that?", Oliver's voice reached my wolf's ears, but I was too busy searching the whole house for my mate. She had to be somewhere.

The pain in my heart had ceased, but there was a hollowness I could not explain or rather chose not to.

"What do you mean?", Levin's voice asked him confused and I followed their voices into the kitchen.

"I don't kow it's something I've smelt in Sia's room before."

"Where are the kids and the caretaker?", Silas demanded to know and Milena answered, "The kids are at friends', but Faith should be here."

She had apparently mindlinked the pack, but all I could focus on was sniffing the entire kitchen for clues that would tell me where my mate had gone.

"Do you think it has anything to do with Faith being from the Mercy pack?", my mother, who had apparently joined us, asked my father worriedly and my wolf roared at what he was hearing.

Fuck! Sophia had been so close to someone from the Mercy pack? Had she known?

"Who?", Silas demanded to know and seemed close to shifting himself.

"She joined us before Nathan had been kidnapped, because the Alpha had killed her mate.", Levke hesitated to explain, but when she saw Silas'murderous glance she hurried to explain more, "She had a female mate and as a punishment for wanting to claim her, your father killed her mate and let her live with the Alpha command to not kill herself. Living without her mate was her punishment."

My wolf growled at the cruelty of the Alpha and almost went beserk when he imagined that Sophia could soon be in her father's grip again.

"I remember her.", Silas suddenly said and his hands formed to fists.

"I remember my father telling me about her trying to scare me. He said that the only reason why he would lift his Alpha command would be if she would ever bring him something of importance."

My wolf howled already knowing what that meant and stormed his way outside.

We could not be too late. Faith did not have that much of a lead, we could still make it.

However, when I had searched all over the territory a few hours later and had not come up with either Sophia's or Faith's scent I crumbled on the floor.

Sophia was gone.

My wolf howled, allowing himself a short time to grief. However, then he sprinted back to the back house and let me take over control again.

Nothing was lost yet, we just had to attack sooner than Silas wanted.

Determined to make them understand I stepped into the pack house only to see my family gathered in the living room.

They all looked relieved to see me, but there was also a sadness there. Milena looked like she had cried over hours, her eyes puffy and swollen. Silas sat beside her, consoling her like only a mate could.

I felt pain pierce my heart when I thought about how just a few hours ago, I had had Sophia in my arms, she had been safe.

"We're leaving in a few hours.", Levin let me know, with a light pat on my shoulder.

I just nodded my head and headed upstairs, not being able to stand the sadness any longer. I could not let myself slip into this state too, not when I still could feel Sophia, even if it was just barely.

It was not over yet. I was going to get my mate back.