Chapter 7

•••••
Hayat

I have been awake all night, praying to Allah to do some miracle. To take me out of my misery but I don't think he is listening to me.

I hope that at least Rukhsat gets to get out of this situation somehow. I don't want her to suffer the same fate as me. I don't even know how Rajkumar Arjun is treating her. I am so scared for Choti. Ya Allah! Please protect my Choti. I can't see her getting harmed.

She is a little stubborn and when Maharaja Angad has been like this with me eventhough, I have mostly been cooperative then I don't know what Rajkumar Arjun is doing with Choti.

I decide to get up from the floor now. I have cried enough.

I washed my face and took a quick bath in the adjoining bath area that I was provided with.

I came out of my room, dressed in a simple white suit and decided that it was time that I meet Rukh.

I asked the First woman I saw coming towards my direction.

She looked at me in surprise

She looked at me in surprise. I am sure she had already seen my earlier when we came then why was she so surprised when she saw me?

Anyways I asked her if she could show me where Rukh's room was and she nodded.

She took me to her room where I found rukhsat still sleeping in her bed. She looked so innocent and happy in her sleep. Not wanting to wake her up but still wanting to spend some time with her, I decided to join her in bed. Whenever one of us was felling a little under the weather, we would go into each other's room in the middle of the night to sleep with the other. Rukhsat got a lot of nightmares actually so it was more of her coming to my room. This became a sort of sacred practice between us after Ami passed away.

As soon as I sat on her matress, she awoke with a little jerk which meant that she just woke up from having another nightmare.

"Choti, it's just me, okay? What happened? Are you alright?" I asked with worry.

"Yeah, I am sorry Baji. Thanks to you, my nightmare ended a little early. You are in my room early during the dawn. You haven't done this in a while. What's on your mind?"

"Choti, I think you should run away", I suggested.

"Baji? What are you talking about. I cannot run away. This is a part of my fate now and one can never run away from fate.", Rukh said looking distant.

"Choti, tell me honestly, is Rajkumar Arjun treating you right?", I asked with concern.

"Hayat Baji, this is something I should ask you. How dare Maharaja Angad raise a hand at you? How could he do that?" Rukh asked. Okay, what?

"He did not hit me Choti. Why would you think so?"

"Then explain the blue marks on your neck Baji. You don't have to hide your pain from me."