Chapter 15

My heart weighed heavy as I grappled with the knowledge of what had transpired on my sister's wedding night. There was no place for shame in Rukhsat's heart; she had nothing to be ashamed of. It was Arjun, her husband, who should bear the burden of guilt and shame. How could he have resorted to violence on such a joyous occasion?

The embarrassment and self-blame in Rukhsat's eyes were misplaced, and it pained me to see her in such a state. She deserved love and happiness on her wedding night, not cruelty.

Driven by the need to console and support Choti, I watched her rush out of the dining room. In that moment, I couldn't care less about Maharaja Angad's rules or the potential consequences of my actions. All that mattered was being there for Rukhsat in her time of need.

As I moved to follow her, my heart filled with a sense of urgency. Choti needed me, and nothing else mattered. However, as I approached the far end of the hall, my feet halted on their own accord. I found myself standing there, listening to the conversation between Angad and Arjun, unable to pull myself away.

I hear Angad say, "What did you do? I told you yesterday not to do anything in anger that damages your relationship beyond repair, and what did you do? Tell me you did not hit Rukhsat because she is not only your wife but my younger sister too now!"

The realization that Choti had been subjected to such violence on her wedding night made my blood run cold. I can't fathom how anyone could justify such an act. And as mad as I am at Rajkumar Arjun, a part of me is also happy that my Husabnd thinks of my little sister as also his little sister.

I hear Rajkumar Arjun say, "Bhai, I don't know how it happened. I ended up getting really drunk because of Devraj, and at first, I thought that drinks would help me calm my anger. But the rage just kept on building, and I don't even remember most of what happened last night. I am really ashamed of my actions."

My heart ached for Rukhsat and her husband, knowing that their wedding night should have been a time of joy and celebration, not marred by violence. I still cannot understand how Rajkumar Arjun could have allowed himself to get so out of control. Why was he drinking on his wedding night in the first place.

"Arjun, I understand that sometimes a woman needs to be put in her place, especially with a headstrong wife like Rukhsat. But remember, you are the man of the house now, and it's your duty to maintain discipline and respect within your family" Angad said.

Angad's words filled me with outrage. The idea that a woman needed to be "put in her place" was infuriating. I had always believed in equality and respect within a marriage, and this toxic advice was a slap in the face to those principles. I understand the world that we live in thinks men are superior, but i had always thought that the man I would be with will not be like others.

Angad starts talking after a brief pause and says, "Arjun, you must apologize to Rukhsat for your momentary lapse in judgment. But also make sure she understands that her role is to obey and respect her husband without question. Women need a firm hand to keep them in line."

At this moment I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The notion that a woman should blindly obey and submit to her husband went against everything I believed in. My heart ached for both Rukhsat and myself, trapped in a marriage where such beliefs were upheld.

"I will, Bhai. I'll do whatever it takes to make things right", Rajkumar said agreeing with his brother's, my husband's beliefs.

"Good. And remember, as the man of the house, it's your duty to protect and discipline your wife. She's your wife now, and you must assert your authority", Angad said.

My anger and frustration reached a boiling point. I cannot fathom how Angad was giving his younger brother such toxic advice. The very idea of "disciplining" one's wife was deeply disturbing to me.