Chapter One

"I can't believe you embarrassed me infront of Nora like that, for thirteen dollars and a brownie that the waiter definitely spit on!" Alex said annoyed as he walked back into the apartment with his family after the embarrassing date he went on.

"So what? You wanna impress her by making her think you're some big shot that doesn't care about money?" Penelope asked him in disbelief.

"No, I wanna impress her by thinking I don't have a crazy family. I mean seriously, the way you looked at her was like she told you she supported our president." Alex said as Penelope huffed and went to open her mouth before he cut in again.

"And you! You always make things weird but tonight? Why'd you have to ask her all those questions like she was supposed to know all of that stuff?" Alex now asked as he turned to Elena, who blinked in surprise.

"And Abuelita, I didn't expect you to love her but maybe show a little bit of happiness so she didn't have to feel so awkward around you guys." Alex said as he lowered his voice while looking over at the small woman, who was standing near the door.

"You don't get it, Alex." Elena said with a huff as she looked away.

"What's there to get? That non of you like my girlfriend? I think I get that completely." Alex said back to her with a annoyed explained.

"She's not Ophelia, okay?!" Elena shouted at him suddenly as Alex's face fell. Elena hesitated before hurrying off toward her room with a hurt expression.

"It's not that we don't like her, it's just a new situation, okay? We all got attached to Oph, you know this. It's just... different seeing you with anyone else." Penelope spoke to Alex softly as she approached him.

"I do miss the white child.. I'm sorry, Papito. I will try and get along with Nora more." Lydia said as she gave him a smile and a pat to his cheek before walking behind her curtain.

"Alex, we're sorry, okay? The way we acting wasn't right and i'll apologize to Nora if that's what you want. I just- I miss her, Elena and Mami do too." Penelope explained, her voice nearly cracking at the mention of the girl they hadn't seen in what seemed like forever.

"You don't think I miss her?
no matter what I do I can't stop thinking about her. I hate how I haven't seen her in almost a year and I hate how it's easier for us to not talk at all instead of talking everyday knowing she's states away from me. The way you all feel is a hundred times worse on me, all I wanted was to distract myself from her with Nora and you all still found a way to make me think of Ophelia instead." Alex said as he stormed off toward his room before the emotions got the best of him again. Penelope wipes her eyes with a sniffle, shaking her head as she as well tried not to let the emotions get the best of her.

A small knock at the door made the woman take a deep breath before heading over. She pulled the door open quickly, her face dropping at the sight infront of her, "Oph?"

"Hey, Pen." Ophelia said to her with a sad smile, tears streaming down her face as she held her bags in her hand.

"Are you- are you oka-" Penelope began but was cut off by the small teen dropping her bags and wrapping her arms around the woman as her sobs filled the small apartment.

"It's okay, shhh." Penelope shhed her as she held her close.

"My Mom- she... she left. I don't think shes coming back this time." Ophelia said between sobs as she gripped the woman tighter, not letting go until Penelope pulled her back to look at her face.

"How'd you get here?" she asked worried.

"Dads been sending me money, I got a plane ticket and got here as fast as possible. I went to his apartment but he's not home." Ophelia said as she wiped her face.

"Okay, we're gonna figure this out together? Okay, i'm gonna call-" Penelope began before the familiar curtain sound was heard.

"White Child." Lydia gushed as she yanked her certain open and headed over.

"Hey, Lyds." Ophelia said as she hugged the tiny woman, who rocked her slightly.

"Hey Mom, did you see the news art-" Elenas voice was heard as the entered the living room, stopping as she look up from her phone.

"Elena." Ophelia said as she started to cry again, grabbing the girl in a tight hug as she cried into her shoulder.

"I missed you." Elena spoke up as she held her close, her own tears soaking the girls shirt.

"I'm staying, forever this time. I swear." Ophelia said as she pulled away from the girl and looked up at her, Elenas face sparking from her own tears.

Ophelia could see a figure in the corner of her eye, standing in the hallway. she blinked in surprise as she stared back at him much like he did her, not knowing if the moment was real or not.

"Ophie." Alex breathed out as he looked at the girl. Her face was puffy from her tears, the bags under her eyes from not sleeping enough were noticeable, her skin almost milky and tear stains on her cheeks. And yet he still thought she was the most beautiful person alive.

i'm hurting... everyone grieving ophelia leaving hurts and her showing up all broken hurts even more.