Chapter Eight

"Penelope! Can I come in yet?!" Ophelia yelled from the other side of the apartment door.

"I already told you, Oph. Alex is still grounded which means no phone and no friends." Penelope yelled from the other side as Ophelia huffed.

"I'm not a friends, i'm a girlfriend! Besides, my fathers in there! Do you really think it's safe for me to be roaming these hallways alone?" she called out dramatically as loud footsteps got closer before the Alvarez's door swung open.

"You basically own this building! How dangerous can it get?" the woman asked while throwing her hands up.

"For one, Schneider owns the building and I am his daughter, which makes me a target for gangs that want to set fire to the apartment." Ophelia pointed out as Penelope just stared at her in disbelief.

"I'm just saying." Ophelia said with a shrug as she walked into the building.

"Ophie! Tell me, is the outside world still a thing? How many new iphones have they made?" Alex asked as he ran over to her, spinning her before dropping her.

"Alex, it hasn't been that long. But since you're asking, they've made two." Ophelia said while pulling the one from her back pocket and showing it off.

"See, totally can still feel the outside air." Ophelia said as she rolled a oddly large fan into the apartment a few minutes later, watching as the wind hit Alex, making his hair fly backwards.

"Feels just like outside." he said with a dramatic look. A loud gasp caught their attention as they looked over and saw Lydia put her hand on her heart.

"Papito, are you modeling already?" she asked in shock as Ophelia nodded as Alex shook his head.

"Ophelia's trying to bring the outside world to me more." Alex explained as Ophelia pulled her phone out.

"A little photoshoot wouldn't hurt anyone though." she shrugged while flipping her camera.

"Oh! You are right!" Lydia explained as she shoved Alex out of the way and began posing before the camera.

"Get my good side, white child. Oh, who are I kidding? All my sides are good." she explained with a laugh. Alex and Ophelia shared a look before she shrugged and began snapping pictures of Lydia.

"Pen! Please! Don't let me do this!" Ophelia begged as she pushed past her Dad and ran into the apartment building.

"Do what? What did you do now? Are the police coming back?" Penelope asked in a panic before she noticed Schneider in a fancy suit.

"Since when do you knock and dressed like American Phycho?" she asked him while Ophelia quickly took off down the hallway and into Alex's room, jumping face first of his bed.

"Ophie? What are you doing?" he asked with a small laugh as Ophelia rolled over to look up at him.

"I have to meet my grandpa and I don't want to." Ophelia said as she sat up.

"Why not? I'm sure he'll love you." Alex explained as he sat down next to her and took her hands.

"No way, he's the worst! He's gonna think i'm such a phony!" Ophelia said as Alex couldn't help but laugh at her.

"He's not gonna think that, come on. We'll go together." Alex tried as he stood up and held his hands out for her, Ophelia shook her head making him sigh and sit back down.

"You don't have anything to worry about. If he doesn't love you, he's a idiot. And if it goes badly we can just go get pizza and go rolling skating or something." he explained with a shrug as Ophelia cracked a smile.

"But you're still grounded." she pointed out as he shrugged.

"So i'll get grounded for a extra few months, at least you won't be sad." Alex said as if it were the most casual thing, Ophelias eyes softened as she gave his hands a squeeze.

"You're the best." she explained as he tapped his cheek, making her roll her eyes and press one to his left dimple before an even quicker one to his lips.

"Come on, lets go meet my dear ol' grandpa." Ophelia explained with a sigh as she drug him out of the room with her.

Schneider sighed in relief as he saw the two, grabbing Ophelia shoulders and dragging her toward the older man, "Ugh and this is Ophelia, remember me telling you about her on the elevator ride up here?"

"You waiting to tell your Dad you had a kid until a few minutes ago?" Penelope whispered to him with a crazy look.

"It's nice to meet you ugh, sir." Ophelia said awkwardly as she held her hand out.

"Right, the so called granddaughter. You know, I really don't see the family resemblance. You sure she's yours?" the older man asked as he turned to Schneider.

"I'd be happy to show you the DNA test we had, right after I-" Ophelia began before Lydia put a hand over her mouth and drug her toward the couch.

"Hi, i'm Alex. Nice suit." Alex said as he walked infront of Ophelia to greet the new member in their home.

"Oh thank you, a little boy like you made it for me." he explained as Ophelia and Lydia shared a look of disbelief. Penelope pulled her earrings off as Schneider was quick to hold her back from doing so.

"So, this is what a typical unit looks like, huh?" he asked while looking around the apartment, Schneider hurried to turn off the lights.

"Much better." the older man said as Ophelia felt a arm reach out for her.

"Yeah, much better." Alex teased as Lydia slapped his hands away and held Ophelia closer to her.

"Looks like you two were about to check out the top of the line new laundry mate, run along." Schneider said as he looked at Alex and Lydia, who nodded and grabbed their baskets.

"And i'm gonna go... feed some birds." Ophelia said awkwardly as she gave the older man a small pat to the arm in greeting before leaving.