The Battle of the Bands | 21

Start from the beginning

I was also a bit proud of myself for bringing my grades out of the shitter, knowing that my hard work was actually paying off.

*^*

By the time the day had ended, I was relieved and stressed at the same time.

Relieved because school was finally over, stressed because I was worried that I wouldn't find a dress at the mall. But surely to god with Kenzie's help, I'd find something, whether it be a pageant dress or a party dress.

"Okay, this one is cute," Kenz insisted, grinning from ear to ear, "Here, go try it on. And this one, too." she shoved two dresses into my arms and nudged me towards the dressing rooms.

I let out a sigh, shaking my head in amusement. That girl sure was something.

After trying the first dress on, Kenzie said that it was too much of an 'I'm going to my gay cousin's wedding' type of dress. I found that to be oddly specific, but that was just me.

Once I had the second dress on, I admired my appearance for a moment before stepping out of the dressing room, preparing for Kenzie's massive amounts of criticism.

"Okay, this one is much better than the last. Maybe we could pair it with some wedges?" she turned to go find an employee and I let out a sigh, ready for the day to be over with. Dress shopping was not really my idea of fun.

I browsed around for a moment as Kenz searched for an employee, and I was ready for the ground to swallow me whole when I noticed Trevor and Maxwell standing in the shoe department, the two of them making fun of a pair of Sperry's.

I quickly ducked behind a rack of shirts, not really wanting to converse with those two right now. Not to mention, they probably thought I was a hoe after that picture of me circulated through Instagram for several days.

Finally, after what felt like hours but was a mere two minutes, Kenzie arrived with an employee.

"How much is this dress?" Kenz asked, gesturing to the sparkly gold dress I wore. It cut off just at the knee, flowing out and giving it a poofy look.

"Its original price is $89.95, but it's currently on sale for Valentine's Day and is twenty percent off."

I grinned at that, pulling my card out of my bag. "We'll take it."

After I'd slipped the dress off, I hurried to change back into my regular clothes and the two of us quickly checked out, then we went to some shoe store to get some wedges.

My budget had originally been a hundred dollars, but since the dress was on sale, that left some money for shoes. I was actually happy about that, 'cause I loved shoe shopping a hell of a lot more than I loved regular shopping.

Once we arrived at the shoe store, Kenzie and I began looking at the heels, eventually deciding on some brown wedges that we thought would look good with the dress.

"Alright, I'm pooped. Let's hit the food court," Kenz said, grabbing my arm and dragging me out of the store. I trailed along behind her, and we eventually arrived at the food court, which sadly, was busy as fuck.

"What should we get? Pizza or sandwiches?" Kenz asked, raising an eyebrow and waiting for my input.

"Sandwiches. I want a Philly-cheesesteak," I replied, following Kenz as she directed us towards Subway. After waiting in line for a while, we finally got to order our food and eventually sat down with our sandwiches, sitting away from the large crowds of people and finding a booth away from all the commotion.

"So, you and Charlie, huh?" she waggled her eyebrows at me, causing me to roll my eyes.

"We're not together," I replied nonchalantly, though I wasn't completely sure of that. I didn't think we were together, and I hoped he didn't think that, either.