The Battle of the Bands | 2

After a long morning of getting stared at by my peers, lunch finally rolled around. I sat with my usual friends, Nick and Jack, the twins of the group, and Mackenzie, my best girl-friend.

The three of them were who I would consider to be my best friends. We'd all been pretty close since we met, which was in Freshman P.E., a class that was was required by our school to graduate. We all hit it off from there, and we'd been friends ever since.

"Alright, what in the hell are you wearing?" Mackenzie was the first to ask. Though I loved the girl to death, she could be incredibly blunt at times.

I let out a sigh and set my tray down on the table, throwing my bag to the floor.

"This is my I've-given-up-on-life-and-am-dropping-out-of-school-to-work-at-McDonald's-for-the-rest-of-my-life outfit. Ya' dig?" I gave a weak smile, sitting down next to Kenzie.

"Well, it sure is something. But it's not even just the outfit, Kylie. You look like hell," she said, eyeing my messy bun and eye bags, "What happened?"

"Well I had an awful week for starters, then I only got about three hours of sleep last night because I had a headache and tossed and turned all night. I was thinking about skipping but my attendance can't really take any more of me missing school," I sighed, tucking some loose hairs behind my ears.

"Well if it makes you feel better, our week's about to suck, too," Nick said, glancing over at Jack.

"Yeah, Coach told us that practice for the week has been canceled 'cause we can't use the gym, because apparently the winter formal is more important than basketball practice," Jack added with an eye roll of annoyance.

"Trust me, that doesn't even compare to the week I've had," I sighed, slamming my head down on the table.

"Wait, the winter formal is this week? I thought it was next Friday, not this Friday!" Kenzie groaned, slamming her head down on the table next to me. "Now I'm gonna have to go dress shopping sooner than I intended," she mumbled, her words muffled by the table.

"Kylie, are you free tomorrow?" she asked turning her head to look at me.

"Yeah, I guess," I replied, sitting up to pick at the spaghetti on my tray. I know it's stereotypical that schools have bad food or whatever, but honestly, the lunch ladies at my school really needed to update their recipe book. Like damn, is it that hard to Google a decent spaghetti recipe?

"It's settled, then. You, me, and a whole lot of money spent on overpriced dresses that we'll only wear once in our lifetime," she said with a bright smile.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, I never said I was going to the winter formal. I just said that I was free to go dress shopping," I said, pointing my fork at Kenzie.

I glanced over at the twins to see if they could help me in this debate with Kenzie, but the two seemed to be engrossed in an argument about whether or not a hot dog is considered a sandwich, and if cereal is considered a soup.

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly at their stupidity, then turned back to Kenzie.

"You are most definitely going to the formal with me. I already have you a date picked out," she replied with a smug smile.

"And who might that be?" I asked, giving her a skeptical look.

"You're sitting across from him," she whispered, nudging me slightly.

"Why on earth would I want to go to a dance with Jack?" I questioned, lowering my voice to a whisper as well.

"It's not that you necessarily want to go with him, it's that he wants to go with you," she replied with a contagious smile.

"You mean..."

"Yeah," she nodded, her smile breaking into a grin.

I smiled slightly in return and glanced toward Jack, who seemed to turn at the same time, allowing us to make eye contact. He smiled slightly at me and turned back to his brother, continuing their stupid conversation.

"Alright, fine," I sighed, finally giving in.

"Yes!" Kenzie yelled a little too loudly, causing a few heads to turn and look at us. She paid no attention to the people looking at us, though, continuing to ramble loudly about what kind of dress she wanted to wear to the formal.

Sadly, lunch came to an end a few minutes later and the bell rang, causing me to let out a groan. I really didn't want to go back to class.

Once I'd grabbed my backpack off the floor, I slung it over my shoulder and headed to dump my tray. After I finished that, I made my way to my sixth-hour class, which happened to be Calculus, a class that I was nearly failing.

I dragged my feet to my locker, pulling out my Calculus book with dread. I hated that class with a burning passion. Once I had my book, I slammed my locker door shut and headed to class.

*^*

After a long day at school, I was finally back home, lying comfortably in my bed and watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. I'd learned that Mr. Everett's funeral would be Wednesday, a funeral in which I was dreading having to go to.

It's not that I didn't like the guy. No, I had a lot of respect for Mr. Everett. He was my favorite teacher by far. I just didn't want to go to the funeral because it was going to be so depressing.

I'd been to three funerals in my lifetime; my grandmother's, my aunt's, and my dad's friends, all of which were very awful to attend.

The services themselves weren't what was awful, it was just heartbreaking to watch a person's family members grieving after the loss of someone.

After going to those funerals, I realized something. Funerals weren't really for the person who had died, they were for the living. I suppose they were so everyone could mourn together, that way all of the family and friends were there for each other.

I mean, I guess I understood the point but being the type of person I was, well, you could say that funerals just weren't really my cup of tea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Lookalikes ~

Mackenzie ~ played by Maddie Hasson

*^*

Nick and Jack ~ played by Scorus George