The Battle of the Bands | 5

so it's currently 4 in the morning and I just realized I forgot to update yesterday so here it is :)))))))

*^*

My mind was racing as I made my way back home, Carter Jacobs on my mind. I knew I wasn't going to take him back, that was an easy decision after discovering how much of a douche he truly was.

The problem was him trying to squeeze his way back into my life. I really didn't need someone as problematic as Carter trying to involve himself with me.

For what seemed to be the hundredth time this week, my head was clouded with my own thoughts.

I let out an annoyed sigh and turned my music up, hoping that it would calm my racing mind. It seemed to work as I began singing along to one of my favorite songs, Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Before I knew it, I was already pulling into my driveway, the thoughts of Carter long gone.

I hurried into the house and up to my bedroom, throwing my bag to the side of my room with little interest. My phone buzzed in my pocket with a text from Jack, telling me that he would pick me up for the dance at around five-thirty.

Quickly replying with 'ok', I threw my phone onto my bed and hurried towards my closet. I fished my dress from the back of my closet and removed the hanger, laying the dress out on my bed.

My clothes were thrown to the side as I quickly stripped down, kicking my shoes off in the process. I was planning on using the same pair of heels from last year, saving my mother the expense of buying yet another pair of shoes.

God knows how much I loved shoes. My closet was filled with them, from Converse to red bottoms. Well, not really red bottoms, but a much cheaper version of them, none the less.

I examined the dress for a moment before unzipping the back, slipping my slender frame into it. The mirror beside my dresser allowed me to see how I looked in the dress, which actually, wasn't half bad.

Up next was my makeup, which was intended to be a blue smokey eye. If it looked anything like the girl's eye in the tutorial I watched, then surely it would look at least half-decent.

I hurried into the bathroom to work on my makeup, finishing in record time. It was already almost five o'clock, so I headed back into my room to slip my heels on.

Once I was finished, my mom insisted that we take pictures.

"Alright, let me get one of you by the staircase," My mom said with a bright smile. "Say cheese!"

After what felt like an hour of taking pictures, there was a knock at the door. I let out a sigh of relief. I wasn't sure how much of my mother I could take. Soon after the knock at the door, my mom hurried to the foyer and swung the door open, grinning at Jack.

"So you must be the lucky guy," she winked.

"That's me," he replied with a bit of an awkward smile, holding out a singular rose, "This is for you." his eyes met mine, and the tension in his shoulders seemed to ease. Honestly, if Jack and I were on anything more than a friendship level, then his presence alone would've made my knees buckle.

He looked incredibly good, with his hair gelled to perfection, paired with a traditional black tux. I felt really bad that I would probably have to friend zone him later, but I tried not to let that ruin all the fun.

"Well, I suppose we should get going," I said with a small smile, taking Jack's hand as he held it out to me.

"Alright, don't have too much fun, and be back before midnight!" Mom called out, shooting me a supportive smile.