The Battle of the Bands | 18

A few days passed after I'd hung out at Benny's with the gang, and I once again found myself at Charlie's house, though Charlie was actually there this time.

"I still can't believe you blew me off," I huffed, laying down on the couch and making myself comfortable.

"I told you, something came up," Charlie replied with nonchalance, shrugging slightly.

"Well, are you gonna tell me what was oh so important that you willingly ignored my texts?" I asked with an amused smile, raising an eyebrow, and flicking my gaze towards Charlie.

"What can I say? It's a secret," he smirked, flipping through different shows on Netflix, "What do you wanna watch?"

I shrugged slightly, fixing my gaze on the flatscreen hanging on the wall.

"I don't know," I replied, sitting up on the couch and propping my feet up on the coffee table.

"Well that's not very helpful," Charlie mused, glancing over at me with a smile.

I let out a small chuckle as I continued looking at the different shows and movies.

"What about that one?" I asked, pointing at a horror movie that Charlie had scrolled past.

"This one?" he asked, clicking on it so we could read the description. I nodded my head and began reading what it was about, deciding that it seemed interesting enough.

"Alright, this one it is."

The two of us watched as the film went on, cracking stupid jokes and laughing through half of it.

Close to the end of the movie, the front door swung open and in walked Maxwell, followed by a blonde girl that I faintly recognized.

I seemed to remember her from a band competition or something, cause she seemed familiar.

"Hey Max, hey Jaylynn," Charlie waved lazily, glancing between the pair. Maxwell's gaze flickered to mine for a moment and I smiled slightly, nodding my head to acknowledge his presence.

The two of them went upstairs, most likely to Maxwell's room, and Charlie and I finished the movie shortly after.

"Well, I think it's safe to say that that movie sucked," Charlie laughed, rating it one star.

"Yeah, I would agree with that," I snickered, sitting up from my position on the couch and stretching slightly.

"Hey, I've been meaning to ask you something, and I know it's a bit last minute," Charlie said, glancing over at me.

I raised my eyebrows expectantly, waiting for him to finish his sentence.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to my school's Valentine's Day dance?" he asked, seeming a little unsure of himself.

I shrugged, a small smile forming on my face, "Sure, why not?"

He grinned, seeming to like my response.

"Alright, it's next Friday night on the fifteenth," he replied, an easy smile on his face, "and you don't have to dress up too much. It's nothing too fancy."

I nodded my head, laying back down on the couch in boredom. "What do you wanna do now?" I asked, glancing up at Charlie. He shrugged in return, seeming just as bored as I was.

"We could go to bible study. It is Wednesday night," he said with a grin, causing me to laugh out loud.

"I think I'm gonna take a hard pass," I replied, a grin forming on my face as well.