On A Hazy Day- Chapter 11

And here's the date scene :) I can't believe 2010 is almost over. I had a great year, and I hope you guys did too :) Thanks for all the reads/comments/fans/votes. In a short while, I've rekindled my love for writing, even though I'm not the greatest writer, I know I have the greatest readers. Love you guys!

xoxo,

Carole

I woke up the next day, for the first time in awhile, I had something to look forward to. Something good. But then the nurse had come and reminded me that it was December 21st, and then I stiffened. I slipped off the thing hospital covers and sighed at how annoying these hospital scrubs were. Thin and not warm at all. I absentmindedly scratched my head before remembering I had stitches there. Ugh, I think I have a bald spot in my head. Oh well, better to lose some hair, then to lose my life.

 It was pretty early so most of the patients were still sleeping. I was used to waking up early, and the silence was comforting.

I found a bench outside my room and sat down. What I didn't know was that another person was sitting down too and I accidently sat on the person's hand. "Whoops, I'm sorry." that was embarrassing!

"Oh, that's okay." I heard a small voice answer back. "It's good to be noticed once in awhile."

I was utterly confused. What in the world did that mean?

"I'm just invisible to everyone else. The ugly duckling with no happy ending."

I frowned sad for the girl...or was it just a boy who didn't hit puberty yet, I didn't know.

"My name is Alex, what's yours?" I stuck my hand out in the direction that the voice was coming from.

A small, cool hand grasped mine, not sure what to do. "My name's Lily."

"That's a very pretty name, Lily." I smiled and shook her hand.

"Your the first person to ever speak to me without shouting or screaming."

"Excuse me?" I wasn't so sure if I heard right.

"Why are you not running away like everyone else?"

"Well, Lily. You see, I'm not like everyone else."

"Really? Well your awfully pretty and I've seen all the people who've come to visit you. No one comes to visit me. I've seen the guy who just watches you while you're sleeping. Is he your boyfriend?"

"Uh..well." I couldn't really finish talking because Lily continued on, her voice breaking into tiny sobs.

"Your life is perfect. I hate you. I hate everyone."

"Lily, that's not true. I have more flaws than you can see."

I reached over and hugged her, I felt wet tears on my shoulder. I patted her on the back, "I'll tell you a little something that no one else knows here."

"Really?" she sniffled.

"Yep. My parents never really loved me. I've been hurt all my life too. I'm blind Lily. I've been treated differently because of this disability. Treated as if I couldn't do anything, as if I was stupid."

"You're blind?" Lily's voice cracked, I knew, it must have been a shocker.

"And I can tell that you're beautiful Lily. Your soul is. You're just lonely, don't worry, I'll be your friend."

Lily hugged me tight, "Thank you Alex," I heard her whisper.

"Hey Alex, ready to go?" I smiled faintly as I heard Luke's voice. "Lily, I'll be back soon, kay?"

She sniffled, "Okay. Thanks for everything."

I kissed her forehead and took Luke's hand. He lead me to the cafeteria. We grabbed some food and drinks and paid.

"Luke, I have a lot of explaining to do."

"Don't worry, we have time," we sat down at a table.

"I hate Christmas, okay. I was born on Christmas day, my dad died on that day and yeah. Story of my life short--- it sucks."

"Aw, I'm sorry Alex," he rubbed my arm thoughtfully.

"Let's start over." I concluded.

"What do you mean?"

"Hi, my name is Alexis Tey, but you can call me Alex." I grinned.

"My name is Luke McCally, but you can call me Luke," he said, following along. I laughed.

"What's your favourite colour? Mine's uhh... okay, I have a lot of favourite colours."

"Mine's blue."

"Oh really?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Yep, the best colour ever."

"What's your favourite food? Mine's ravioli"

"Steak."

"Favourite drink?"

"What is this, 20 questions? Like seriously, people don't just meet and start asking random questions."

"But we didn't just meet, " I argued playfully.

"Here, answer this question." He kissed me on the lips, surprising me completely.

I pulled away, "That wasn't a question."

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Sure, we can have red jello," I exclaimed, completely avoiding the question.

"Seriously now, Alex," he held my hand. "I really like you."

I let out a sigh of defeat, "I can't deny that I like you a lot. Because I do like you. A lot. But I don't know if I can handle my heart being broken again."

"Again?"

"Jake..."

"Oh, no more need to explain. I know what happened."

"You know...what?!?"

"Yea, Jake told me what happened and he's really sorry. It's sad, I think we've become chums." he said with fake sadness.

"Yay, my boyfriend and my enemy, chums." I said sarcastically.

"Jake's considered your enemy? WAIT! Did you just call me your boyfriend," he nudged me.

I blushed, "Erm, maybe?"

"Aww, you're adorable," he ruffled my hair.

"HEEY! I'm not your pet cat," I pouted and Luke chuckled. I heard a bell ring, "Argh, it's time for everyone's checkups. I can't wait to get out of here, they think I have to stay another week to make sure I don't have any permanent damage..."

"I want you to promise me one thing though." He said, tugging at my arm gently as I got up.

"Mmm, sure." We started walking back to my room.

We stopped at the door. "Please, don't ever lie to me. We're going to be truthful and honest no matter what."

"Kay," I smiled and he pecked me on the lips.

He left and I had my checkup to see if my head was okay.

"Hey nurse," I called to my nurse.

"Yes?" she asked.

"I was wondering if you knew a Lily and why she's here?"

"Oh, that girl. Poor thing. She has cancer and has a birth defect so she's a bit more pink than other people. Her parents just left her here a couple months ago, and the hospital doesn't mind taking care of her as long as she behaves."

"Oh," I said sadly. Poor Lily...

"And supposedly she only has until the 26th to live."

Life was so unfair.

If I could have given anyone my life, I would have given it to Lily.