On A Hazy Day- Chapter 2

Hi again! :) Hope you like my story... it's kind of based where I live and what I do... well not all of it. Just some... er kay. Happy reading! :D

xoxo,

Carole

Chapter 2

3 years later and I still resent Christmas. My poor baby sister, Lauren, won't have a fatherly image in the picture. And a dad is something she needs the most at times. Someone to suck up to as Daddy's little girl, and Lauren needs a protector. So for now, I guess I'll be her protector.

My mom was never the same after the accident. She tried to put up a facade for us, and pretend that everything was alright but I knew deep inside her heart throbbed in pain. I did a lot of house-hold chores, grocery-shopping and babysitting Lauren while at the same time balancing my schoolwork and piano.  

We had decided to move to the city after 3 years, trying to get away from the memories. My mom was brought up here, so she knew the place really well and found a house close to an Academy. Why my mom wanted to move in the beginning of December? Don't ask me. It was freezing cold although we were all bundled up from head to toe.

 Lauren kept running around asking, "Mommy, can I heeelpp? Pweasse? Leexxyy, can I help?"

My mom said from behind the box she was carrying, "Lauren, if you want to help, you can get your little suitcase from the moving truck and bring it upstairs to your room."

"Okay!" Lauren smiled happily as she ran past.

I shivered as the wind picked up and I struggled to hold onto the box, my ungloved hands starting to feel numb. "Mom, how many boxes left?" I called out to her.

"We're done now, I think that's about it," she answered back to me.

 As I walked into our new house, I could immediately tell that it was big and probably old. My mom's voice echoed and Lauren's footsteps seemed quite loud as they chatted. I started to feel around the house and see what was where.

Staircase here, door here, window here. Pretty soon, I had the house memorized. I found an empty bedroom and claimed it as my own. My bed was already here, as well as most of my stuff. My grand piano was in the "piano room" which was the room next to mine. Once I heard the sound of music, I could almost always automatically be able to play it back or sing it back. Being blind had  made my senses of taste, feeling and hearing much stronger.

Tomorrow I was going to the Academy. Freeview Academy. My mom had enrolled me, and we had to wear uniforms. I didn't care what they looked like, as long as they weren't itchy or slutty-looking. I could cover up pretty quickly that I was blind, and I learned really quickly. Maybe I'd actually have a normal life. A life where no one would pity me for my dad's death or because I was blind. I ran my fingers through my unruly curly red hair.

The doorbell rang and this time my mom went to open the door. I got up and walked downstairs. I smiled at the smell of freshly baked cookies. "Mom, who is it?" I asked curiously.

"Oh our neighbours coming to greet us. Alexis, come say hi."

I walked to the door and the frosty air nipped at me as I stuck my hand out, "Nice to meet you." The hand that was placed in mine was warm and big, but it felt nice.

"Hi, I'm Luke, Nice to meet you to." The person with the warm hand said.

"Alexis, did you know that Luke is your age and goes to Freeview Academy?"

"That's cool mom, now can we all come inside before we all freeze into popsicles?"

"Yes, come inside Luke!" My mom said cheerfully.

"No, it's fine Mrs. Tey. I should get going now" Luke said. "See you tomorrow, Alexis."

"Bye" I smiled softly.

"Bye Luke, nice meeting you," my mom smiled as he nodded his head and turned around. He started to walk back to his house, the snow crunching under his feet.

My mom shut the door, "What a nice boy, don't you think?"

"Sure... I'm going to bed now. G'nite mom. Love you."

My mom pecked me on the cheek and gave me a quick hug. "Don't forget to set your alarm, you have to be up bright and early for school."

"Kay Mom." I walked back upstairs, wondering if I was going to run into Luke again tomorrow. I probably would. I wondered what he looked like, how he acted and if he was in any of my classes. Tomorrow, my questions would be answered. I changed into my pjamas, brushed me teeth and yawned as I settled into my comfy bed. Tomorrow is going to be quite a day!

-Luke's P.O.V.-

My mom had said that we had new neighbours. I wasn't sure what to expect. My imagination was going wild. Were they gypsies? Pirates? A big family? Or a small couple? My train of thought was interrupted when my mom had shoved a platter of freshly baked cookies into my hands.

"Go bring this, and do be kind, Luke," my mom said hurridly.

"Okay," I groaned as I got up from the couch and started for the door. I slipped on my shoes and donned a grey sweater. I put a toque over my messy brown hair and went outside. It was a bit chilly, but not too cold.

Back at Freeview, we had grades 7-12. And we wore uniforms, but they weren't too bad. Girls fawned over my looks, but I really didn't care for them. They were all just the same. They only love you when you're good-looking. They never actually want to know how you feel or what you like to do.

I rang the doorbell was holding the platter of cookies in my other hand. A middle-aged lady opened the door. She looked kind of sad, but I didn't say anything. When she looked up at me she smiled.

"Hi, I'm Luke... your neighbour," I said with a smile.

"Hello there, I'm Mariah Tey. Mom of..." she stopped abruptly .A beautiful girl, with a slender figure, blazing curled red hair that fell just below her shoulders appeared from the top of the staircase.

"Who is it mom?" the girl had such a musical tone to her voice.

 "Alexis! Come say hi to our neighbour!" Mrs. Tey called out.

She walked to the door and stuck her hand out, "Nice to meet you." I offered my hand to her cold one, "Hi, I'm Luke, Nice to meet you too."

"Alexis, did you know that Luke is your age and goes to Freeview Academy?"

 The girl with red hair had beautiful blue eyes that seemed to be glazed over and she never seemed to look me in the eye. No girl had ever acted like this around me. They usually swooned and started throwing themselves at me. I'm staring to like this girl.

"That's cool mom, now can we all come inside before we all freeze into popsicles?"

"Yes, come inside Luke!" My mom said cheerfully.

"No, it's fine Mrs. Tey. I should get going now"I said. "See you tomorrow, Alexis."

"Bye" I smiled softly.

"Bye Luke, nice meeting you," Mrs. Tey smiled as I nodded my head and turned around. I started to walk back to my house, the snow crunching under my feet.

Alexis was gorgeous and her mom seemed really preppy. What made me want to see her again so much? Tomorrow for sure I'd see her again. Maybe we'd even share some classes. I went up to my room and got ready for bed. I smiled to myself before turning off the light and going under the covers. I couldn't wait for tomorrow.