Chapter Seven

Theo broke the kiss.

And an alarm blared.

Chuckling, Theo said, "They couldn't have caught us that quickly, could they?' Flirting was not illegal, but kissing was. By doing so, you could risk expulsion. But then again, no good student at Prep School had ever been caught doing anything illegal.

Vanessa sat motionless, still stunned by the sudden turn of events.

But then she realized what siren was screaming.

The Mission Siren.

Theo and Vanessa locked wide, surprised eyes. They leapt up to run to Mission Square, the usually abandoned gathering place where Squads were to gather to be assigned a mission. If a specific Squad was not requested, the top one would go.

Squad 309 was the top Squad.

Running out of House 309, Vanessa and Theo disregarded the train and bolted to Mission Square.

"Kat, Caden, Sage, Seth, come in. Meet at Mission Square." Vanessa spoke into her watch.

"That is, if you didn't hear the siren," Theo quipped.

Laughter was heard over the watches. Kat responded. "We're already here, Captain."

Vanessa's mouth pursed. She hated being laughed at, almost as much as she hated being late.

Theo and Vanessa arrived just in time for the announcement to be made, neither of them breathless. Gym class was worse than that little jog.

 Principal Colbert, a middle-aged man with seventy-one tallies on his arm, strode towards the microphone, a single paper in his hand.

"Attention." he said. "No time for beating around the bush. We have been requested for a mission, and our cliant wanted a younger Squad, which is why you all were called here." Ordinarily, the Squads that graduated Prep School would go. Only requests would put Undergraduates on the option list for Missions.

Squads all around grasped hands with their other team members. Terrified breaths were held. No one wanted to be called. Unless you were Vanessa Kade or Renee Hawthorne. Even though, Theo still took Vanessa's tense hand, squeezing it tightly.

"They summoned a Squad. Squad 417, with Captain Renee Hawthore, you have been summoned."