-21-

y/n's pov

"y-you're lying," i shake my head. "you can't be my dad." 

"come, follow me," he stands up and walks over to the mirror. "stand here." i walk besides him, slightly in front of him and stare in the mirror while he puts both hands on my shoulders. "you can't tell me, you don't see the resemblance." 

we had the same face structure and a similar nose. "i-"

"you have your mother's eyes and hair," he smiles. "she'd be so happy to see how beautiful you've become."

i look up at him. "where is she?"

his smile fades and he walks back to the couch. "come sit here and i'll tell you the entire story." i don't move and continue to stare at him. "oh come on, i know you've been dying to know about everything. i don't want you to keep thinking i abandoned you when i didn't. please just come sit."

i take a deep breath and sit a few feet away from him. "okay. talk." 

"your mother and i were young and in love. i was head over heels in love with her. she loved me despite my lifestyle and stood by me no matter what. so by the age of 20, i married her. it was the happiest day of my life, or so i thought. then when we were 23, we had you. i remembered your tiny little hand wrapped around my finger-- you wouldn't let me go."

"so why'd you let me go? why'd you give me up," i ask. "after 21 years why come find me now?"

"a couple nights later, on our way home, we ran into some people," he continues. "and they aimed at me, but your mother jumped in front of me and took the bullet instead. it was an immediate death, there was nothing i can do. seeing your mother's lifeless body in front of me, reminded me that i had so many enemies. there wouldn't be a day where i didn't have to worry about your life. so i made the hard decision...

...of taking you to an adoption center. no one could know that i had a child. they would use it against me or threaten you. i was scared that you would share the same fate as your mother. you were safer without me cause no one ever learned about my biggest secret; that i had a daughter." 

as soon as he mentioned my mother i started crying. i'm mourning a woman i don't remember meeting. 

"but don't we have the same last name? how have people never connected the dots?" i question. 

"no one know's my real name, only the people from the adoption center but i only told them my last name and your first name," he replies. "my mafia are the cobras. everyone refers to me as King Cobra or simply The Cobra. you think the panthers are fierce? no, they're nothing compared to us." 

"you don't know that," i shake my head. "mattia said you guys haven't ran into each other for a long time-- how do you know they haven't evolved?" 

"i don't know but all i know is that if mattia is the capo then they're not in good hands. with his father all the way in italy they're not as powerful as they use to be." 

"so all this time, you knew where i was?" 

he shifts his body towards me.  "i've always watched over you, i couldn't talk to you but at least i knew you were okay. that's how i knew xavier was your boyfriend. but when you started working at the club, you entered panther's territory and i couldn't watch over you anymore." 

"do you know hard it was to live without parents?" my voice started trembling. "for the past 21 years i thought i was unwanted or i wasn't good enough." 

"sweetheart, that was never case. i've been building my empire, making it strong enough just for you," he says. "i knew one day you and i would be reunited. everyone thinks that all of this," he points around the house, "was my biggest achievement but my biggest achievement is that you're alive and breathing right next to me." i kept my eyes on the floor the entire time. "when i heard that mattia polibio had gotten ahold of you i was so scared and worried, i had to do something. so i got in touch with the Kingston Cartel, Xavier." 

"mattia would never hurt me," i say immediately. "they're not as bad as you think-- the panthers are good people." 

"sweetie, the panthers are the ones who killed your mother," he whispers. i look up and him and saw the tears form in his eyes. 

.