-5-

y/n's pov

once i got back to my apartment, i noticed that my door was already unlocked once i put the key in. i slowly open the door and was relieved when i saw one of my friends sitting on the couch.

"chris you scared the shit out of me," i sigh.

chris is a police officer and he was already in his uniform.

"sorry," he chuckles. "where've you been all night? another one night stand?"

i purse my lips together. "maybe. i dont fuck and tell."

"whatever," he rolls his eyes. "i just came to drop off some shit for you but i gotta go to the station now."

"you want me to drop off some lunch for you later?" i offer.

"yeah if you don't mind."

"i got it, no worries."

"has your crazy ex boyfriend contacted you?" he asks.

"you can say his name, i'm over it," i tell him.

"i prefer to not say the devil's name," he jokes, "but i'm glad you're moving on. i hated him from the start."

"i feel like he's gonna pop up out of nowhere soon," i say. "knowing him, he's gonna try and pull something."

chris walks to the door and opens it. "and you better not give innnnn."

"i won't," i assure him. "have fun at work."

he waves and closes the door.

chris' pov

when I get to the station, I noticed a huge file on my desk. 

"what is this?" i ask another officer. 

"there more dead bodies found last night in the alley. probably mattia polibio and his group back at it again," he said. 

"do we have proof?"

"well no, but we'll find some sooner or later," he said. 

mattia's been paying me to keep the cops off his track but he keeps making it so difficult. truthfully i'm just scared that he'll hurt the people i love if i don't do what he says, so i obey without question. 

"i gotta go make a call real quick," i say, walking outside. 

call to *****  i don't spell out his name in case someone sees my phone. 

mattia: what?
chris: when you kill people, the least you can do is hide the damn bodies.
mattia: i was trying to send a message to someone. 
chris: i can't protect you guys if the situation is too difficult.
mattia: well that's for you to figure out
chris: fine whatever.

mattia's pov

"you think xavier got the message by now?" i ask kairi.

"what message were we trying to send exactly?" 

"'don't fuck with us'."

"what? i thought we killed them cause they causing us problems or something," he says. 

"if xavier can go around killing my men for no reason then i can do the same," i reply. 

"we don't wanna cause unnecessary shit mattia," kairi groans. "one day it'll get so bad that we can't even leave our house without looking behind our backs."

"fine, we won't do anymore 'unnecessary killing'," i promise. 

kairi nods in approval. "so what'd you and alejandro fight about this morning?"

"nothing." i pour myself a small amount of scotch and down it quickly. 

"day drinking huh? 'nothing' my ass," he scoffs. "tell me what's up."

"i don't even know myself," i say. "alejandro had that girl over, y/n, and they slept together..."

"ahh," kairi smiles. "you're jealous." 

"i'm not jealous-- i don't get jealous when it comes to girls." 

"liar." 

i roll my eyes. "i'm not lying."

"you like her don't you? i've never seen you like this before." 

"kai, i had a 5 minutes conversation with her," i inform you. "she's different than most girls i've talked to yeah but that doesn't automatically mean i'm in love with her." 

"i... never said anything about love mattia." 

"i-- fuck you," i chuckle. "but i don't like her okay? she's just interesting." 

in my line of work i can't have a weakness and i knew if i continued to talk to her more she'd lure me in all the way. i'm sure kairi knew that too which is why he wasn't going to convince me to try and get to know her. 

"well we have a delivery tonight," kairi reminds me, "so get your head in the game and stop letting a girl get between you and alejandro." 

"aren't i suppose to be the one giving you orders," i laugh. 

"not today."

.