chapter twenty-two!

'     '     '     '

'     '     '     '

THE ball was set to begin in ten minutes. Grace and Caroline had seen Elena out as she went with Stefan and Damon, to which Grace gave a knowing smirk.

He rolled his eyes and gave her a nice gesture.

Caroline pinned Grace's hair into a curled updo with pearl clips, then tended to her own hair like an expert.

Grace had been instructed she was doing makeup, since apparently she had a 'skill' for it after all these years of practice.

She gave Caroline a lighter look that made her have a flowy feel, and for herself, Grace went a little more bold.

Finally, the two put on their dresses, and marveled at the other. In such a short time, the girls had become very good friends.

"You look..." the two began in unison, then sharing a laugh.

"Stunning," Caroline said first, to which Grace could not help but to smile.

"You're absolutely gorgeous, Caroline. Any guy or girl would be lucky to have you."

"Oh stop, you might make me blush. Come on, we're running late."

Grace followed Caroline, and the two were quickly on their way to the Mikaelsons' mansion.

"God, this is such a huge house. Plenty of room for you and Klaus to getaway-" "Caroline," Grace stopped her, cutting her eyes.

Caroline raised her eyebrows, parking the car. "What! The two of you are so painfully, obviously in love. Please, just do it already if you haven't."

She paused, feeling a bit bad for putting Grace on the spot like she had.

"I- Sorry. Sometimes I let my mouth come before my brain."

Grace nodded knowingly, checking her hair and makeup. She looked over with some empathy.

"I know. It's okay. Now- you ready to dance?"

The girls approached the doors together, and something strange happened when they stepped inside.

Grace took in the ballroom that she had so pertinaciously decorated. With the help of Rebekah.

If there was not a feeling of impending doom hanging over her head, Grace might have made herself the center of attention at this event. It was something she was good at.