chapter five!

•.•.•.•.•

Mystic Falls, circa. present day

"MY God, I didn't expect you to show up so soon. Just couldn't stay away, could you?" Grace teased, poking Klaus in the chest.

There was a joy on Klaus' face that was a rarity for everyone to see.

"Uh- I'm sorry. If I could just say something really quick," Damon interjected, walking over to the pair.

"Grace, why are you even associating with him? He's the bad guy here, if you didn't catch the drift."

She hid her smirk, raising an eyebrow at Damon. He was still somewhat pissed about their brief conversation last night, she could tell.

"I didn't," she said, looking to Klaus with a frown.

"Nik, I didn't know you were a bad guy. This- this is shocking."

Klaus smirked, looking away and allowing her to finish the conversation with Damon.

"How do you two know each other?" Stefan asked. The two brothers seemed off with Grace.

"We've kept in touch over the years," Klaus explained briefly. He had no reason to be here, other than for Grace. There were more important matters to handle.

"It's not a big deal, really," Grace said with an innocent smile. "Why can't people just be friends-" "You're a traitor, Grace, that's the problem!" Damon said.

She could see in his eyes that he was genuinely hurt.

"Do you know what Klaus wants, Grace? Are you aware of why he is here?" Stefan said, crossing his arms.

Grace was never really close to him, anyway.

She turned her head, giving Klaus a signalling look of what she was about to do.

"What- what do you mean?" she asked, suddenly stepping away from Klaus with a concerned look on her face.

"He's here for Elena. To break his stupid little curse. She's apparently the only one who can fix it." Stefan said.

Grace frowned. "Why can't he have her then? Will it kill her or something?"

Damon and Stefan both nodded frantically. Grace found it so amusing how they were still smitten over the same face.

"Nik? Is this true, Nik?" Grace asked, slowly turning to look at him.

Klaus showed no remorse on his face. They were both playing their parts incredibly well.

"Yes. And, as far as I care, I'm going to get what I want."

Klaus took an ominous step toward Grace, who pretended to be intimidated. He held his hand out.