chapter twenty-one!

'     '     '     '

' ' ' '

Grace chose to ignore Esther's ominous words, instead wandering through the house to see if she could not find Nik or Elijah.

Esther was planning something and she was not doing a very good job of being inconspicuous. Or maybe... she did not want to hide it.

Grace did not think about her anymore for awhile. She unfortunately realized that with a ball, meant a dress. Though she was in no mood to dress up, she supposed it could not hurt.

Roaming the halls of the Mikaelson manor, she was becoming frustrated with not being able to find anyone. Had they all left her here with Esther? Surely, they would never.

"Nik!" she called rather hopelessly, pushing open the door to the drawing room.

Niklaus was already approaching the door, thus causing the two to bump into each other.

"Grace. Back already?"

She rolled her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"You know about this 'ball' that you and your family are hosting, I assume?" Grace asked with a bit of an annoyed tone.

Nik gave a small smirk.

"Are you here to ask me to be your date-" "Nik," she said, trying to remain serious but unable to hold back a smile.

"I- Do I have to dress up for this?"

"Of course, love. I'm not escorting a ragged looking date."

Grace rolled her eyes once more at Niklaus' cheeky remarks.

"When is it?" "Tomorrow evening. I thought it was a little quick to try and get all of this together, but my mother did not seem to care all that much."

He paused and looked away for a moment, then back to Grace.

"You can make yourself useful and deliver invitations. Oh, and get yourself a dress."

Grace raised an eyebrow, saying, "Oh, you're making me get my own dress. How uncordial of you, Mr. Mikaelson."

They shared amused smirks, until Grace took the invitations and set out to get them delivered. She would first stop by a rather interesting one: Elena Gilbert.

Despite having been in Mystic Falls for a good while now, Grace did not believe she had exchanged two words with the Gilbert girl.

Did not matter, as she would now have something to say to her as she walked up the steps to the presumed residence.

With a sharp knock, Grace waited patiently for a moment.

At once, someone came to the door.

The doppelganger herself. Grace tried not to show her disdain upon seeing the Katherine lookalike, but it was something involuntary.