chapter six!

•.•.•.•.•

Mystic Falls, circa. present day

"GRACE! Grace, are you ready to go?" Caroline asked, entering her own bedroom.

Grace had just finished pinning up her hair. She turned to Caroline, twirling slightly.

"What do you think? The feather is kind of old, but-" "Oh, my God! You're a stunner. I'm a little jealous."

With a smile, Grace replied, "Don't be. I'm your date, after all. I'm ready."

Five minutes later, they were on their way.

Grace's phone buzzed with a text message.

Nik

Save a dance for me, will you?

Grace

If you've improved, then sure.

Nik

The twenties were much more my style, thank you.
Rock n' roll, not so much.

Grace laughed and smiled, putting her phone away.

"So, what were the Roaring Twenties like?" Caroline queried.

Grace smiled. She remembered those days fondly. It really was quite the time to be alive.

"Insane. Especially if you were a young woman like me. Some of us chose to be flappers, which was sort of the start of a feminist movement. Most people today don't know that. Most girls just want to dress as a flapper because their dress is appealing. But, in short, it was wild."

Caroline giggled. "So, you were a feminist?"

Grace shrugged, then nodded slowly. "I- yeah... yeah, I guess."

She laughed with Caroline as the pair pulled into the parking lot of the school.

"So, do you coordinate these school functions? You seem to be quite knowledgeable on the topic."

Caroline unbuckled, checking through her bag. "Eh, most of the time. If you came to more of these then you'd notice that the school dances which actually have some class and elegance were appropriated by me."

Grace was sent into a brief fit of laughter. Together, the two walked inside, already hearing the boom of jazzy music in the gym.

However, when Grace stepped inside, she nearly had a seizure.

There were multiple supernatural entities in this room.

Too many.

Grace sensed them all at once, and it was too much for her to take. She fell against the wall for a moment, blacking out and having a sharp and ringing pain in her ears.