chapter seven.

Peter looked down at the smooth blade in his hands, twirling it expertly between his fingers. His mind pondered many things. His mind was swarmed with everything. His past, present and future all threatening to drown him, pulling him under the vast sea of emotions.

His couldn't help but to remincisne.

- Flashback -

"Marina... I'm not sure about this..." Peter fumbled with his fingers nervously. The two were standing behind a family-owned shop, the occasional ding filling the air. The ten year old boy's hands were shoved in the pockets of his blue hoodie.

"I know, Piper... we're just struggling with food right now." Marina looked over at him. He had grown quiet a bit, and was almost the same height as her, despite his age.

He shuffled his shoe anxiously. "Okay...just- you promise we won't get caught? I don't wanna go away."

She reached down and squeezed his hand. "You know I won't let you leave without a fight. Nothing bad will happen, we won't be caught. I promise." She reassured him. "Now let's go." She led him toward the front of the store, pushing the glass door as the two entered.

"'Ello kids, where's your parents at?" The man at the counter asked as he looked up from his newspaper. His balding head shine in the light.

"Our parents asked me and my brother here to get a few things." Marina told him, giving him an innocent smile. "We'll get of your hair soon, won't be long."

He chuckled. "Yeah. Alright then. Take your time. Wait... my hair?"

Marina pulled Peter towards a different part of the store. "Okay, I want you to grab as much as you can, just be careful with chip bags because they're loud." She whispered close in his ear. "Don't freak out- don't look nervous because old grease face over there will know something's up, alright?"

Peter stared into her brown eyes, nodding quickly.

"I'll be over there so it's less suspicious. I'm gonna talk so just play along." She winked.

She walked further down the aisle. "Hey Carter, didn't mom tell us to look for some pasta?" Marina said loudly from ahead.

"Uhh I think so, yeah!" Peter replied. "Don't know if they have any here, though." He began to slowly reach for various breakfast bars, shoving them inside of his jacket.

( a/n Pretend that they don't have any security cameras because it defeats the whole purpose)

His heart raced. He looked around wildly.

"No... don't see any pasta." Marina said, her voice sad.

He continued, walking around to the next aisle, his eyes landing on some canned foods.

He hears a pair of shoes walk quickly to the front. "What else did she want?" She mumbled under her breath. He heared the sound of paper being crumpled as she began to list random things.

He managed to awkwardly get two cans of food, putting them on either side of his hoodie. "I haven't found anything that she's asking for. Come on Carter, let's go try another store." Marina signaled.

"Oh alright. I'm coming." His heart skipped a beat. He had to walk past the cashier. He was sure to be caught with his bulky top.

He walked quickly to the front door. His breath stopping as he hears the man call to him.

"Hey kid, what do you have in your pocket?" He asked, glaring at the young boy.

"I-" Stuttered Peter.