chapter one.

Peter let out a tired sigh, flopping on the dusty couch. It was officially his first day at the new school, though he was dreading it. He put his head back, closing his eyes as he listened to the gentle breeze outside.

"Hey Peter, you should get going." A voice said.

He opened his eyes, turning his head ever so slightly to see who it was. "Yeah, I know." He replied. He stayed still for a few minutes, before finally pushing himself up.

"Try not to get into trouble." The older girl said. She had a large scar that ran down from her eyebrow to her eyelid, causing her to lose sight in one eye. Suddenly two little kids came running through the living room, followed by an older boy around Peter's age, his hair sticking up in every odd angle.

"Mhm." Peter said, his voice monotone.

He grabbed his fading bookbag and his cracked phone that he had left on the table. He passed a mirror by the door, checking his appearence; purple eyebags hung beneath his eyes. A pair of cold, lifeless eyes stared back at him. He ruffled his hair, not caring if it was already oh so messy. He turned the knob and began to make his way down the creaking stairs, down the dingy apartment building, and into the dark yet cool dawn. His breath fogged into little clouds infront of him. He didn't bother on wearing a sweater, so he just had to deal with it.

He rounded a corner, a small yellow bus with the paint peeling off had already stopped. He spotted  a few kids  already climbing on. He quickened his pace, catching it just in time. He walked down the aisle, avoiding the stares other people gave him until he found a seat by the window. The engine grunted with effort as it took of again.

"Hey rag boy, you're in my spot."

Peter looked up, meeting a mean-looking boy. "Excuse me?"

"Wow! Guys it can actually talk!" The boy burst out laughing, queuing a bunch of others to do the same.

Peter joined in, before growing serious. "Well, if rag boy is in your seat, don't you think you can find another spot?"

"Don't get smart with me." The boy's hand gripped the seat tighter as the bus rounded a corner. He sneered, revealing a missing tooth.

"Your dentist must not be smart." Peter stood up, towering over the boy. "Why don't I knock a few holes in your teeth, maybe give them a bit of a challenge?" He smirked, staring into the other's eyes.

The bus was silent at this point. The bus driver looked in his rear-view mirror. "Oi, you boys sit down!"

Neither did.

"Why you little ass... you're lucky!" The boy growled, his face growing red as he stomped away towards the back. "I won't forget about this."

Peter watched him go, before sitting back down.

"Idiot." He mumbled under his breath. He slouched back in his seat, staring out the window as the sky began to grow blue, the chirps of awakening birds flowing through the cracks of the window. After what felt like years, he was finally at the school.

It was a smallish school. He tightend his grip on his bag before setting off, heading inside. The room was filled with noise, which made his ears hurt. He looked around, seeing the words Office. He stepped inside, looking around. His eyes landed on a golden trophy, which was surrounded by shining medals. He reached a hand to touch it, before drawing back sharply, jumping at the sound of someone clearing their throat.

He cranes his head. A plump, brown-haired woman was staring at him, a stern expression on her face. "Well?"

"I-uh I need a schedule." Peter said shortly.