THIRTY-EIGHT

Genesis's POV

In the 1950s a man named Edward Lorenz searched for a means of predicting the weather, as he found linear models to be ineffective. After a small experiment, Lorenz came to the conclusion that the weather shifts on the dime, and even the tiniest of changes in the initial conditions had enormous long-term implications. To explain his discovery Lorenz explained that a butterfly has the potential to create tiny changes which, while not creating a typhoon, could alter its trajectory.

This lead to the evolution of the Chaos Theory suggesting that little insignificant events can lead to significant results over time. However, the MIT professor never intended for the idea to be applied in the way it was today.

Now the Chaos Theory more commonly known as the 'butterfly effect' is used in terms that small things can have non-linear impacts on a complex system. The concept is imagined with a butterfly flapping its wings and causing a typhoon leading to the famous metaphor, 'the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil can set off a tornado in Texas.'

Now of course it is arguably impossible for something as small and insignificant as a butterfly to cause the destruction and deaths that a tornado potentially could right?

Technically the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil may cause a collection of warm air to pass on the opposite side of the branch the butterfly is sitting on. This will cause it to merge, or not, with another such. Which could then feasibly make that combined mass large enough to rise over a ridge. And so on, with a cascade of ever-increasing effects. Which can end up, eventually, in a particular parcel of energy dissipating as a tornado in Texas instead of a harmless storm in Mazatlán, Mexico.

The fact of the matter is that a butterfly's wings do not create or destroy weather. It just shifts the overall energy into different paths. Usually, it would have no effect at all. But the weather system is so chaotic and unpredictable that sometimes it is balanced on a knife-edge between two wildly different outcomes. When that happens, the tiniest change can push it from one to the other.

Realistically, a single act like the butterfly flapping its wings cannot cause a typhoon. Small events can, however, serve as catalysts that act on starting conditions.

Those small events aren't easily predicted though and when they finally do unfold perhaps precipitating carnage to every aspect of your life and deviating your very viewpoint on what you thought you knew.

When these events finally unravel and the ultimate conclusion sits for you to analyze, you sometimes think that maybe you should have seen it, maybe you should have done something to stop it but the sad part is that you don't realize that until it's far too late.

It's pretty easy to plan things.

Its harder for those plans to unfold exactly how you want them.

There are too many variables, too many obstacles that you can't control. I guess that relates to most things in life.

It's true when they tell you that control is nothing but an illusion. Just like power it can be taken, evolved, morphed, eradicated completely in the blink of an eye. All it takes is a split-second decision or a butterfly's wings flapping and everything you thought you knew could come crashing down around you.

I thought it was all falling into place.

The plan was finally coming together and it was an exhilarating feeling watching it all unfold in front of me.

With Aidon raring to take over Caspian's position and his allies dispatching his confidants one by one all that was left to do was to take out the Crime lord himself.