Issue #19 "Major Minus"

Nothing.

I looked at Donny, breathing in what air my lungs accepted, coughing up what it didn't. "We're alive?"

"Guys?" I heard Wren say over the receiver. "Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah," Donny groaned. "I think we are."

"So you aren't all dead?" Jeremy asked. "Something isn't right," he said. "This doesn't fit my vision, not perfectly."

Caroline huffed. "Count your blessing, Je-" Then static.

Then the ground shook beneath our feet. I would have fallen if it weren't for Donny.

The loud ringing caused the both of us to throw out our ear pieces. "God-damn," I bit. I looked to the sky. "What the hell was that?"

"I don't know," he said. He pulled on the door. It still wouldn't open. Glass was falling from the sky from the roof. .

"It came from outside," I said. "Wouldn't have been far."

He nodded and started for the stairs, jogging up until we got to the study, with the clear view of City Hall and downtown.

Donny entered first, but stopped by the door, blocking my view. "Fucking. Shit. Fuck."

"yeah, he's dead," I said and I pushed him out of the way, and stopped where I was. Froze. he wasn't talking about the body. 

 Outside that window, there was fire and smoke coming from city Hall. Or where City hall once stood.

It was a hill of rubble, collapsing one by one on itself. The area that surrounded was on fire, and it was raining concrete and smoke. The sky above it was bright orange. I could hear sirens from hear. I could hear the screaming from here. Until there wasn't any more screaming at all.

"Caroline," Donny mumbled. "Anti-freeze, Racer"

"Grandma," I swallowed. I closed my eyes. My chest tightened. "My mother might have been in there." My chest clinched again. "Wren." This couldn't be happening. "I don't understand," I said, gazing out the window as the hall was burning itself down into nothing, taking all the lives inside with it.

"You will."

Donny was the first to turn. I followed.

Dad stood at the door.

The End of Act One