Issue #14 "'Bring Your Son To Work' Day"

Three new chapters in three days? Yes siree! Enjoy day #1

[Edit: family emergency has kept e away from updating, it will resume afterwards.]

"I Have a Plan: Attack" - Iron Man, The Avengers

Issue #14 "'Bring Your Son To Work' Day"

His hands were stapled to his waist, foot tapping on the ground that, honestly, could have been grenades going off in my ears.

It was like being caught graffiti-ing a wall at school by the principal.  You can't look him in the eyes because then you'll see what the inside of Hell looks like,  brimstone and all.

Superboy stood laxed, leaning heavily on one leg with his hands behind his back. And all in  the face of the living,  breathing Mr. Terrific.  The leading man of our superhero community. The Clark Kent amongst Peter Parkers.

"We thought you were villains, " he said. Superboy did. Super relaxed, kind of disrespectful.

'Be careful' I said in my head.

He didn't look down or show any sign that we was listening, besides nodding.

The actual Mr. Terrific , whose red mask covered everything besides his eyes and mouth,  looked  over at him and ran his eyes up and down as if he was observing a sculpture that he wanted to smash to bits.

I noticed that Superboy started playing with his thumbs behind his back.

"What team do the both of you belong to?" Mr. Terrific asked. It was amazing how calm he sounded and  yet by the time his question got to your ear, it seemed as if he was yelling.

"We're new," Superboy said.

Something went off outside and the three of us peered outward.  Mr.  T looked toward us. "Look, this is becoming a very big mess outside.  It isn't safe for the untested."

Superboy stopped playing with his thumbs. " With all due respect,  Mr.  Terrific,  the superhero business is not some dictatorship where you or anyone else gets to decide what I," he waved to me, head remaining forward, "or my partner want to do. We have gifts and we plan on using them to help our town."

"How very noble," Dad said. "Should that be something I engrave on your tombstone when Grenade or Mother Nature kills you?"

"No plans to die today, unfortunately," Superboy quickly responded, cool as a cucumber. "However, I am thinking of making it my official tagline."

"A bit long for a tagline."

"If you are both done measuring the sizes of your nut sacs," spoke Mighty Woman, ascending the stairs to the left in her trademark pantsuit and cap and wedged heels. 

No one knew how she fought in those. Another thing that made her one of a kind - she wore no mask. Her brown eyes and mocha skin were visible.  "We have a city to save from complete annihilation."

They both stood quietly, a few feet away from each other as if landmines were buried in the floor in front of them.

Another bomb went off; the ground underneath us shook, as if God was shaking the planet with his hands. Superboy levitated as I swayed and tried to latch on to something to keep myself from slipping. He came back down when he noticed.

"Grenade's going to destroy this city," Mighty Woman said. "He must be stopped now."

"That's kind of what they want," I said, surprising myself.