Issue #10 "The Oath"

[You still have one more chapter to look forward to tonight! But please, before you move on to that one, vote & comment on the first two; I’d appreciate it!] 

 (Donny on the side)

"In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, Green Lantern's light" - Green Lantern

Issue #10 “The Oath”

“Another day, another horrible day of physical education,” Donny grumbled, dropping onto the grass and spreading himself out.

I decided to be a bit more graceful and a lot less embarrassing and sit down next to him instead. “I’m starting to think the reason I didn’t have any friends is because I’m friends with you.”

“What makes you say that?” Donny asked, while he pushed his hands down his jogging pants to adjust himself.

“Just an educated guess,” I mumbled, as others stared and pointed in horror and disgust at Donny’s little treasure hunt.

He laughed and propped himself up on his elbows. “You know, you should be happy you broke your fingers.” He grabbed my hand about as softly as hitting it with a hammer and it sent a bit of pain up my arm. Even through the cast it hurt a little.

“Ouch, you freak!” I bit, smacking his hand away, to which he laughed, because he’s a dick.

“At least you don’t have to do anything physical today,” he said and grumbled a “lucky bastard,” towards the end.

“Yeah, and all I had to do was break a couple of fingers and get thrown around by one strong ass woman, who by the way, is  a supervillain who is basically Jean Grey in a power suit.”

“Hey, I’m just saying, you didn’t have to run around in all this heat like the rest of us.” He looked right, and I unconsciously followed his eyes. They landed on Wren, who was chatting with Dante as they collected the hurdles.

“Where are you with Wren?” Donny asked, keeping his gaze locked on Dante. “He’s smiling with Dante, and Dante is smiling back.” He turned to me. “That dude never smiles, man.”

I shook my head, bouncing back between the two of them and Donny. “He does.”

My Korean best friend, who I love (and I also hate, but in a loving way) wriggled his nose. “You have something to tell me?”

I shrugged. “Not really. I went into this coffee shop where he works.” I scooted a bit closer to Donny. “He’s cool.”

Donny rolled over onto his stomach and held his head up with his connected palms. He started swinging his legs back and forth like some pre-teen girl who was hearing her first secret at her first slumber party. He batted his eyes. “So, what do you guys, like, talk about?”

“Boys and make-up," I bit. "Don’t be an asshole, Donny,” I said, hitting him on the forehead.

He giggled because, well, he’s Donny. “I just find your life when I’m not around fascinating.” He crawled over so he could rest his chin on my thigh. “I mean, you’re a superhero, you’ve saved the city twice now and you’re basically the only guy that Dante has ever talked to.”

“I wouldn’t call what we do talking,” I said. “We more so nod and grunt ‘hellos’.” I thought about it. “He’s sort of like me: distant and an asshole.”