Chapter 30: There's No Such Thing As Goodbye

"Umm, hello. My name's Lily Dawson."
Bane couldn't help the tears in his eyes.
"If you're watching this video, it probably means that I'm dead or about to die."
She had filmed this in Arkham. A month before they all escaped.
"As you've probably figured out, the marble that I gave Bane unlocks the antidote to the poison that would destroy all of Gotham. You need to know that only the... Criminals... Of Gotham can release the antidote. And if they have and you're watching this then it's time to wake up. You, as the people of Gotham, created criminals. But they are people who deserve redemption."
Eddie sat behind his computer, he was broadcasting this all across Gotham TV.
"Because whether you're a hero or a villain, you will be evil. And whether you're a hero or a villain, you will be good. Arkham Asylum is an evil place, where people are told that there is no good in them. And once you tell people that... Bad things happen.
"The villains of Gotham have or will save you, and although they have caused much damage, does that not show you how wrong you are?
"I have been living in the Asylum for many months now and the inmates have become my family. People of Gotham, everyone deserves redemption, even you. And if there's an ounce of good in you, you will forgive them and you can forgive yourselves. Villains are made, not born. And you've made the best and worst of them."
Lily looked down and cleared her throat.
"Bane, Eddie, guys, I'm speaking to you now. There will never be peace unless you stop. And they will never forgive you unless you stop. Gotham can be reborn in peace.
"I'm sorry that I'm lying to you, that I'm trying to stop you. But I do it for you.
"And Bane... Please know that you're like a father to me. And although my father is out there, and although he'll never remember who I am to him-"
Bruce Wayne stared at the screen in his Batcave, his brow furrowed in confusion.
"-please know that you've been the best dad I've ever had, or ever will."
Lily smiled at something off screen.
"I take full responsibility for the poison gas attack on Gotham. It was my idea. But I'm dead now so.."
She grinned at he camera and laughed.
"I'm a villain of Gotham, then, aren't I? But we all are... If you think about it."
She laughed again. Bane couldn't remember the last time he saw her so happy.
"I'm a villain of Gotham, and I am proud."