Chapter 17: Checkmate

Not people showed up at my funeral, which wasn't surprising, now many people knew me. It had taken a few days for Bane to stop destroying things after he heard I was dead. And another week for him to come out of his room. My funeral was small, and since I had no found friends and family, it was an open funeral. Not much of a funeral.

They decided to cremate me with a baby that had died in birth, the mother was too poor to afford medication. Wayne enterprises funded the funerals, which was incredibly ironic. They gave me a small, plain grave that had a simple cross, I wasn't even religious, and my name on it.

Bane had come, along with Selina, Joker and Eddie. Nightie also came, and did not care when he saw his foe's standing there. They were perfectly harmless in that moment. Of course, the police were waiting outside and the criminals decided to take all their grief out on the city.

But that was for a later time, now was time to mourn. As of this moment, i was lying perfectly still on the wooden board they planned to burn me on, all monsters were defeated this way.

The family of the dead newborn had chosen the song and as it played for them it played for me as well. It wasn't the song I wanted, but nobody cared, I was just the dead stranger to them. And now because of my early death, Gotham would fall.

Gone

Dark the stars and dark the moon,

Hush the night and the morning loon,

Tell the horses and beat on your drum,

Gone their master, gone their son,

Joker now left with Selina, and for once it didn't seem as if he were smiling.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky,

Hush the whales and the ocean tide,

Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum,

Gone their master, gone their son,

Dark to light and light to dark,

Three black carriages, three white carts,

What brings us together is what pulls us apart,

Gone our brother, gone our heart.

...

Hush the whales and the ocean tide,

Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum,

Gone their master, gone their son.

It was Eddie's turn to leave, no words of wisdom, no usual monologue, he simply patted Bane on the back and walked off.

A little boy, from the other family, saw Bane and Dick staring at me with tears in their eyes and this was enough for him to break away from his mom and walk towards where I lay still.

"Mommy says they're going to heaven now, and that they'll be happy. Up there, with God." came his adorably small voice as he gazed at me.

"She didn't believe in that." Said Bane, obviously not caring whether he scared the boy away or not

"But she has too believe in God, or she'll never get there." He cried anxiously

This caused for Bane to sit down on one of the stone benches in defeat, his head down and his shadowed eyes staring at the pouch in his hands. Dick did not move, he did not hear the boy, there was so much he still didn't know about her. So much that he wanted to tell her about himself but now that would never happen. He would never again see that smile that he loved so much or dance with her like he's always wanted.