Chapter 19: The Party

It took me a few moments to chase away the butterflies that were savagely eating away at my stomach and having a dance party, but eventually I was able to walk out of my room and desend the staircase.

Downstairs was chaotic. The music was in full blast that seemed much quieter from upstairs, strobe lights were everywhere and were blinding to look at. And there were people: everywhere. I mean, the house was pretty huge but filled with all these people made me feel cramped and small. All of them seemed fake, rich fat cats with skimpy dressed girls on their arms made me feel as if I was in a club. They all seemed suck up to.

I made my way to the dining room, which was now a ball room, the source of the incredibly loud music and most likely place I would find Bruce or Dick, a hunch I got from the mini-stage I could just see over the heads of the crowd.

My search was short lived as suddenly the music stopped and spot lights shone down on Bruce, who was in fact on stage, as he gave some kind of welcoming speech that I had no interest in hearing. It was only when a spotlight shone down and blinded me that I realised he introduced me.

"Come on up, Sammy!" he exclaimed cheekily, oh he was asking for it now. I made my way through the parted crowd trying not to make eye contact with anyone, I was going to get him.

I walked up on stage and was immediately embraced by Bruce, which must've looked pretty awkward, and ushered to center-stage by the microphone.

"So this, ladies and gentlemen, is my cousin Samantha. She's new here and a little shy so please play nice." He pretended to scold, I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and sigh. "Now let's enjoy the party and in a little while Samantha here would love to sing for you!"

The crowd cheered and applauded, like a bunch of highly-predictable sheep. I walked off stage with Bruce and turned to glare at him. He just looked at me innocently which just hardened my glare.

"Sammy? Samantha? Your cousin? Seriously!?"

"Relax, you had to be connected to me somehow. How else was I supposed to introduce you?"

"You didn't have to introduce me at all! This might attract attention, you know, strange new hero appears the same time as your niece! And cousin? That's the oldest excuse in the book."

"Well I would've said you were related to Dick, but I don't want to be in the middle of an incest scandal."

"Don't-" But I was cut off by a platinum blonde interrupting our conversation with the fakest smile i've ever seen in my life. She didn't even try to be discrete about her intentions as she basically flung herself into Bruce and smiled 'seductively'.

"Hey Brucie." She said with a smokers voice, her animal print dress and pathetic behavior made me want to laugh at her at the same time as throwing up.

"Hey Aleece." Bruce replied, wrapping an arm around her and grinning. Ag, men.

"I missed you." Replied the bimbo as she ran her hand up his chest. "I'm lonely."

Oh my word, is she for real? I decided to be a good niece and ruin it for him.

"Me too!" I shouted over the music and 'accidently' stepped on the bimbo's ankle whilst moving closer. "That's why me and Bruce were going to hang out after he gets his STD pills from the clinic, which one was it again Bruce? Herpes?"

I didn't have to say much else as the blonde stepped away and pretended to take a phone call, while heading for the door. I grinned and turned back to Bruce, who was glaring at me as I was at him only a few minutes earlier.