Chapter 22: What I Fear

Everything was so... Bright. Normal people would see darkness when injected with Fear Toxin, but you forget I was raised in the shadows.

The whiteness of my surroundings was blinding, even with my eyes closed, and I felt completely exposed.

I knew this wasn't real, it didn't make sense to be real, but I couldn't wake up. Which means that I'm still in the restaurant and there's no doubt that Scarecrow would kill me.

No!

Snap out of it, he won't kill you yet- he thinks you have Lily, and he wouldn't kill someone until hearing their greatest fears kill them inside.

What a loving young man Jonathan turned out to be.

Another notable thing about my surroundings was the silence, silence that has become ever so hard to find in the real world.

I was waiting for something to happen, a monster to come attack me or maybe Rha or those two poor sisters that I killed. But there was nothing.

No noise, no sight, no movement, no anything,

I was completely alone.

This can't be my greatest fear, I mean, I am alone in the real world.

But even having that said the silence was getting to me, my skin started to crawl and my hair stood on edge. Why didn't anything happen?

As if in answer to my silent request, I could hear something- something loud and echoing. Footsteps.

I started wondering around, in the strange hope of meeting them, but I still couldn't see anything but the bright whiteness.

But even that was starting to fade, instead it was beginning to form something I could not quite make out.

The footsteps halted.

I held my breath for a few seconds in anticipation.

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

Near-silent ticking echoed in my head. I decided it would be stupid and pointless to say something like: hello?, when it was obvious I would get no response. Besides, I didn't want to sound like those stupid horror movie girls who forget to lock the back door and never know how to be quiet.

"It's been awhile."

I spun around quickly, eyes widening as my mouth went dry and my palms became sweaty. In front of me was something far worse than Rha or ghost sisters or any type of monster that I could dream up.

It was so horrific that my stomach started to clench and my head started to pound, the symptoms only worsened by the our blurring surroundings.

She stepped closer to me, at spitting distance. She was dark and cold and calculating, just like a special assassin would be. There was only one emotion flashing behind her dark orbs: bloodlust.

A hand, with long nails painted black swirled with blood red, reached for me and slowly scratched at my cheek. But I didn't fight back- I couldn't- not against her.

Those nails reached my neck and the cold hand wrapped around it, cutting off a small part of my air supply. Something hit the back of my head and I knew she must've done it somehow.

I looked up at her looming figure and she stared coldly back.

"Pathetic," she whispered as she lent forward, lips grazing my ear, "It's really no wonder."

I knew what she meant and unspoken words haunted me, ripping from the darkest edges of my mind to tear me apart.

I gave her no reply as she tightened her grip around my throat, obviously wanting one but I would not surrender it.

She snarled and banged my head against some invisible wall, causing a small gasp of pain escape my lips.

My stare mirrored hers as one of intense hatred and loathing, which burned like a hellish fire that wished to consume those in its path.

I hated her, I truly did. She was worse than any Gotham villain and far more powerful. But as she really started to strangle me, to bash out my fire, I felt grateful, because her doing this meant she wouldn't hurt my friends.

My vision became clouded and I was powerless to stop her, all of Gotham couldn't stop her.

Spots danced in front of my eyes and I knew she had won, but I couldn't let that happen.

I was in her way of the mass murder of those I cared about, as I was the only one able to stand up to her.

She is a monster.

She is the worst kind of evil.

She is the reason for my dying.

She is me.

********************************************************************************************

Sorry it's short, but I think it was worth it, besides I've done a lot of uploading lately

xx

MS