Chapter 37 - Speak the Truth

Start from the beginning

Either way, Robyn did not mind; she had been wanting to escape everyone's burning stares. Though, she could not blame them since in some way she had gotten Dean mixed up in something big.

"The ring is gorgeous. Gift from my nephew?" she remarked after nodding her head in the direction of Robyn's hand.

Trying to hold in a loud, ugly cry or more of a yelp in her throat, Robyn swallowed, nodded then gave it a proper stare before shutting her eyelids for a brief amount of seconds.

"A promise ring?"

"Mhmm," she sounded in response with a hand clutching her elbow as she avoided Valentina sharp eyes.

To put it mildly, Robyn felt out of place and honestly just wanted the entirety of this nightmare to come to an end.

"I'm going to need you to keep an eye on Iris for me," she paused to neatly arrange her fashionable, black, floppy wool hat on her head, "I'm going to be dealing with Dean's..situation; I've got a couple things that I've got to ring by my firm and I don't want her alone right now. Can I count on you?"

"Of course."

"Thank you," she smiled without showing her pearly whites for the first time in Robyn's presence. "I'll get going then darling."

• • •

"I grabbed the quickest flight I could!" letting her luggage fall, Jordan announced while flinging her arms around her cousin and embracing her strongly. "How are you doing??"

After dropping Iris off at Kevin's place, Robyn had been waiting for her at the airport entrance for the past half hour, unwilling to head inside and be surrounded by so many more unknown faces.

She was already experiencing the weirdest, craziest and hardest couple of days of her life at the moment, she thought, therefore she did not want to add more fuel.

Nevertheless, to her protest, her cousin was very adamant on flying in to keep her company once she was informed about the current predicament.

She was always a fan of Dean, even through Robyn and his problems, so Robyn felt that she was the best and only person to let in on everything for the moment.

When they broke away, she pushed Robyn's sunglasses up and held her hand. She pouted once she discovered her puffy, red eyes.

"Sorry," she unintentionally croaked as she quickly wiped away an escaped tear. "I've been trying not to cry, which is only making me want to cry even more."

"It's okay baby, it's understandable," Jordan quickly enveloped her into another warm hug, running a hand down her back this time around. "Come on, it's getting windy."

Robyn nodded weakly before wiping her remaining tears, reaching for the fallen luggage and getting ushered towards the passenger seat of the rented Range Rover.

Soon after loading the car, Jordan insisted on driving and only asked a hesitant Robyn to punch in a nearby restaurant on the car GPS.

"Let's just go grab a bite to eat, on me! I'm sure you haven't been eating." She managed to merge into the oncoming lane, despite the long lineup of cars motioning for the open road as well. "We don't even have to stay there. Let's just get some food in you! Then we can get all cooped up inside for however long you want."