Chapter 29 - Back To Square One

"It's three in the morning? This better be good," she voiced still half-asleep with her hand rubbing her eye.

Her mouth was dry and her head was pounding. She also did not recall getting to bed or switching into her pyjamas.

"I am aware and I apologize," the raspy male stated in an unapologetic manner, "is this eh, R.D?"

"If that stands for Robyn Desmond, then yes." Robyn yawned while cozying up under her covers, "Who's asking?..especially at this time."

"Good to hear. I am officer Rev Connor, I know you're probably asking why an officer is calling-"

"Yeah, you got me there."

It was never too late or early for sarcasm and awkward jokes apparently.

"Unless this is about the hit and run?"

"Nothing concerning that. I have a mister Matthew Kiddman at the station."

To say the least, the last thing Robyn was at the moment was surprised. It was as if their lives would always be intertwined even when they would be separated. Something or someone seemed to keep on bringing them back in the same space.

"He has refused to cooperate, hence we've detained his license and car. He hasn't been arrested, though he won't be driving anytime soon. Since he's given us your info I'm going to assume you two know each other."

The man sounded unsatisfied with every word that resonated from his end of the line all the way to hers.

Tossing her covers to the side, she turned on her lamp and sat up on the edge of her comfortable bed.

She sighed reluctant in hearing the conclusion of his message, "Yeah?"

"I'm going to be honest, my shift was over about an hour ago so the fastest I can get him out of my hair would be great."

"I understand that I do, but I'm sure- there has to be someone else that can-"

She was interrupted by a loud exhale and some grumbling.

"Apparently there isn't ma'am. He'll be here all night 'till you arrive," he urged.

More grumbling could be heard in the background.

She groused while motioning towards the bathroom, "I'll be there in twenty minutes."

Ahead of twisting the knob of the bathroom door, she set her cellphone on the dresser before being met by a glistening Dean.

By the looks of it just finished taking a shower.

He just stood there, across from her, holding onto the top of his towel. He looked like he was stuck in between his actions.

"Oh- Uh wow," Robyn choked with a hand slightly blocking the redness of her cheeks.

She was evidently staring at his print behind the towel.

"I, um, I forgot you were here. I didn't mean to-"

"Ro," he called, forcing her to shut up, "it's fine. You've seen way beyond this towel." He smirked once he knew she officially felt humiliated.