6

"Shall I come and watch your sports fest?"

I glanced my mother over my bowl of champorado (sweet chocolate rice porridge). She's smiling thoughtfully across me as she puts a wrapped sandwich in my bag.

"No need Mom," I said and ate a spoonful of the porridge.

"Why though?"

I just smiled. I don't want her to see me doing stupid stuff.

"By the way, your Dad told me he can't come home this weekend."

I frowned. "Why? He wasn't here every night the whole week."

"They got a very tight schedule in the restaurant. Dad said they have very important guests, and the menu needed to be revised to suit their tastes."

I did not respond. I guess I won't be seeing Dad for the next couple of days. I thought, when Dad was promoted to head chef in a Michelin star hotel and restaurant in the Capital, that he can have the luxury to spend time at home even during weekends. But the glow up had even taken the very little chance he can bond with us. I don't really mind, but I can't deny I'm missing him a lot.

Anyway, that's enough for the sentiment. By the time I finished my breakfast, it was already half past six. I don't live far from MIS, I can even walk if I have much time. But we will be having an assembly before the events start so I must go quickly.

"Bye Mom! Thanks for the sandwiches!" I shouted as I dash from the dining room to the gate. I didn't hear her reply as I stuck my hand out to make the on coming jeepney stop. Lucky our house is by the road, or else I might be late.

I entered the second gate which is nearer to the school building where my room is. It's at the back of the campus. If I take the main gate, I will have to pass a couple of buildings and long alleyways just to get to my room.

As usual, students like me who have arrived almost quarter to seven are hurriedly walking to their rooms. There is a small queue for the elevators, so many preferred the stairs. As for me who doesn't want my energy wasted today climbing up many series of steps, took the last of the line in front of elevator 2.

I recognized the students queueing with me seniors from Science and Technology Class, one of them is the famous model Hannah Brenton. I saw a magazine where she had modelled for a top fashion brand, and was quite impressed that she even looks way prettier in person.

The elevator door opened and Hannah's group hurried in, me quietly trotting after them and squishing my way to the back.

Two more students went in after me, and I recognized the girl from Korner Kones yesterday. She seems fine, I wonder if she and her boyfriend made up. She glanced at me but didn't give a sign that she recognizes me, which is better I think.

The elevator door closed. I didn't bother pressing my floor because Hannah's classmate had already pressed 3. So I waited as I listen to their conversation.

A curly girl beside Hannah was telling them animatedly about a world renowned billionaire coming to the country. "...My aunt's the editor of the Business Digest, they're going to write about the him, interview him to be exact."

"Which billionaire?" asked the very tall boy behind her.

But I didn't get the chance to hear who the billionaire is because the door opened.

I got out and ran to my room. It's already seven. When I got to my seat, Mara is already shouting in front.

"Move quickly, will you?! We're the only ones left here!"

Leila who was sitting in front of me turned and told me, "No we're not." She gestured to the corridor where we can see some students still heading to their room.