Chapter 30 "Tears & Years"

\Ross's POV/

The look on her face made me nervous and cautious.

"What's up?" I asked as we sat down on one of the beds in the dorm. She sighed, "Ross, I'm worried." I raised an eyebrow, "What about?" I asked while running my fingers through my hair pushing it back. Somehow, everyone says it looks cool when I do that. I don't know. It feels good. She played with the zipper on her jacket and looked back up at me from looking down at the floor, "I feel like things are going to mess up. I'll be in school and you'll be at home... I'm going to be here for four years. I don't want you to go four years and waiting for me to get out of here. Also, I'll be here, hours away from you and It will take a long time to get down to you guys after school or anything like that. I mean..." she tried going on until I interrupted.

"It's going to be fine babe," I said looking in her eyes where I saw tears forming. She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed, taking deep breathes, "I know how it feels to miss someone, Ross, I don't want to do that to you." She got up and walked to the window looking out at the campus.

"What are you saying?" I asked walking to her and putting my hand on her shoulder. I looked at the scenery she admired, the trees flowing in the wind and other college kids playing football and hanging out on the grass reading books or talking. Some kids played frisbee, some kids just texted on their phones. It seemed good for her to be here and it seems like she'd be happy here.

"I'm saying... maybe we need to stop this before things get messed up and devastating," she said.

"Things are already devastating from hearing this!" I said with my voice raised.

"I know that! But, this isn't helping either!" she shouted sitting down in a chair in frustration.

I gulped and sighed sitting down and playing with her hair and moving into place again. "Hey..." I said and she sighed, "Ross, I love you."

"I love you too.... and that's why I'm letting you go," I said. She nodded, "That's why I'm letting you go too." I nodded and smiled, "I understand."

She nodded back and smiled. I sighed and kissed her and she kissed back softly and I stroked her cheek. One last kiss. We pulled away eventually and I chuckled, "This is hard..." She shrugged, "I know.. but, I think it's for the best."

My family back inside the room along with Selena's mom. "Call me everyday," her mom said and Selena smiled nodding, "Of course!" and they hugged and Rydel popped up out of a chair, "Me too!" She rolled her eyes and laughed, "Yes mam!" Riker sighed, "We should let you get to unpacking..." he said and Selena nodded, "I'll miss you guys." Riker nodded and pulled her into a hug and soon Ryland joined in their little group hug.

She pulled away and looked at me. I bite my lip and couldn't help but pulled her into a hug with her arms around my neck, I whispered in her ear, "I'll miss you. So, so much..." She sighed and whispered back with her voice cracking, "I'll miss you more." I kissed her cheek and I could feel her smile against me.

Everyone soon left the room after saying their goodbyes, along with me, but I ran back in her dorm as fast as I could. I had to do something before we don't see each other for four freaking years! "Ross! Where are you going?" Riker would yell for me.

I didn't listen to him and just kept running. I ran up the stairs to find her room and ran into the door by accident and fell down on my back, "Ow! Damn it!" I yelled. The door opened and Selena opened her eyes wide, "Oh god, Ross, are you okay?" she said getting on her knees looking down at me. "Yeah, I'm fine," I said and she laughed a little bit, "Come on now," she said pulling me by my hand. I got up off the ground.

"What's wrong?"

"I just wanted to say... I... I am really going to miss you."

"Didn't you already say that?" she asked and I nodded licking my lips,

"Yeah but, I feel like I needed to do it again."

"I'll miss you too, Ross. I got to go, I really have to start unpacking."

"Okay, I get it. See you in... four years?" I asked stuttering.

"Yes you will," she smiled.

"Friend..." I said. I wanted to say it out loud to see how it would feel coming out of my mouth. It seemed weird but, I tried my best.

"Friend," she smiled and hugged me around my waist and I hugged back. "See ya," I said when we pulled away and she nodded, "See ya."

I went back to my family, Selena's mom and my mom dropped us off at our house. I went to the living room and my siblings followed me in. "Hey Ross, are you okay?" Rydel asked and I said, "Yeah.." I lied right through my teeth. "Rossy," she said moving a hair out of my face. I couldn't stand it anymore. I said I'd be strong but, it's so fucking hard. I'm done pretending.

"No, I'm not," I said with my voice cracking as I felt the tears coming out of my eyes. Oh my god, this hurts so much! God damn it! Why, why, why!
I laid back on the couch, letting the tears fall and the horrific sounds come from me as if I was being tormented. Which I sort of was because the distance from her terrifies me. "Ross, It's okay, It's going to be okay... I promise, Rossy..." Rydel said rubbing my shoulder and laying her head on my side.

"Ross, go to bed, maybe you need some sleep!" Riker said sitting down with his elbows on his knees. I nodded and left the room to my room, grabbing my phone and shuffling my playlist. I put on a certain song, "Amensia," by 5 Seconds of Summer and It mached my mood perfectly. I went in my bed and put the song on repeat and waited until I finally fell asleep.

Slowly,

And then all at once.