18. Surprise

I continued to help out Brian and soon it was night time.

"Sorry it dragged so long, we'll end here." I told the soldiers. They thanked us and left. After everyone left, it just left me and Brian alone. 

"I didn't know you can teach." 

"This isn't the first time i've done this. You'll get used to it, trust me." I gave a light punch on his chest and returned to cleaning up the place. 

There were many moments of silence before he broke it.

"Hey Santini?"

"Hm?"

"Are you really afraid of me?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I? You're a psycho who kills people for fun."

"Because if you were afraid of me, you wouldn't be so comfortable with me."

"That's because I know how to deal with you."

"Oh? How?"

"Despite your craziness, you have an innocent side. When you smile, it's always natural, that's when you are normal. When you're angry, you will have fury in your eyes and it's very readable. When you're annoyed, you just don't talk unless necessary. But when you have gone psycho, it's only when you have a dangerous smile and empty eyes." I talked.

He didn't mention a word.

"Because of your actions, it's easy to read you. You have a normal side Garcia, it's just that you can't tell when, that's why-" I stopped as soon as i realised i was talking too much. 

I turned to face him but he was just leaning on the wall listening attentively with a grin on his face.

"Carry on."

I turned back and refused. 

"C'mon love, i love it when you talk." I heard his footsteps coming closer. 

"Stop it Garcia. We're strangers."

"Are we? Are we really Santini."

"Yes.."

"I don't think we are though. In fact, i think we're more than that."

"In your dreams Garcia."

"Stop denying it. I know you actually care about me. That's why you've been observing me so carefully."

"That was part of my job." I nervously said. His footsteps were becoming clearer. 

"Your job was to kill me. Not to dig deeper about me."

"I couldn't kill you. You were too good. Believe me, i tried."

"Admitting defeat?"

"As much as i didn't want to. You don't belong in my life anymore Garcia. You are someone else's target."

"But what if i want to?"

"Excuse me?" I was about to turn around to meet him in the eye.

But I suddenly felt him hugging me from behind. I was shocked for a moment. His embrace was tight, yet comforting. It's like he was desperate, tired and losing hope. 

"What if i want to be in your life. What if I want you to keep trying." His tone was so much more different from that day in the locker room. That day, he showed madness. But today, he showed care.

Was this what he wanted to say that day?

"What if I just wanted your attention? " He spoke softly. 

"Garcia.."

"What if..I just wanted you to look at me differently." 

"Garcia stop it. I don't want you in my life. We were merely just an assassin and a target. Nothing else."

He sighed softly and let me go.

"Sorry Santini. I got ahead of myself,  it won't happen again." He looked away from me. 

"Garcia? Look at me." I placed my hand on his shoulder but he gently took it away and left the area.

An assassin and a target. That was the only thing we were. Now, we are nothing. 

I rubbed my head and cleaned up quickly and locked the area. I headed to the canteen and ate a quick sandwich before heading back. I saw that our bunk light was off, he must be sleeping. Since he took the bottom bed, it was easy to look at him. 

I guess this is the first time i am seeing him sleeping so soundly. I looked at his innocent face and started to realise how handsome he is. His features were suddenly so clear and i admired him for while. Before i knew it, i was subconsciously feeling his soft and gentle hair. 

But as i looked closer, I saw dried tears on his face. He was crying?

My heart sank a little. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"The best we can go is friends. We don't belong in the same world Garcia. And we never will." I quietly said. 

I stood up to take a shower but i felt a light tug on my shirt.

"Santini, don't leave. Don't leave." He mumbled.

I turned, thinking he caught me, but he was just sleep-talking. 

"I need you..I need you. Don't leave." He continued. I walked closer and gave him a light kiss on the cheek and he calmed down.

And i left to take a cold shower.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The next day Garcia acted normal again. Guess he wouldn't remember what he said. 

But i guess ever since, we've been talking a little more. 

FUN FACT DOWN BELOW:

Hey guys!! How've you been during quarantine? God Im so bored at home, I keep sleeping at 4 in the morning and waking at 3 in the afternoon haha!

Well I have been updating my stories so I'm pretty happy about that, some of you might know I was offline for 2 years and rarely update my stories. Well quarantine got me to be an author again!

Guys remember to stay home, stay safe and stay well. My prayers will go to every frontline workers who are sacrificing their health and lives to save patients. Let's do our part and stay home alright???

The next chapter is a COVID edition, i'm pretty sure by the time that chapter is read by some of you, COVID-19's over already (I really hope so), but still, it's a dedicated chapter so I'm still gonna do it! 

Now, FUN FACT TIME:

So excluding the COVID-19 special, I actually have 15 drafts of this story haha! (Meaning I have already written 15 chapters after this chapter and didn't publish them yet.) 

Don't ask why I'm doing this (and please don't kill me for this), but it's mainly because I'm not confident of my chapters to publish them yet. I always go through a phase that I'm pretty sure my chapters are boring and not making sense (overthinking issues), thus hesitate to publish. I would always debate whether it's good enough to publish yet, thus I would just write and write and once 2-3 days after when I don't wish to make you guys wait, I publish them. 

Does that make sense? I hope so haha

So anyway, please read on. I've said my part and I won't bore you with my speech any longer. Enjoy the next COVID-19 edition!!!!