Chapter 13 - "Will you say yes?"

The next hour was a blur of activity. It took Liv several minutes to fully believe they were getting rescued by a SWAT team and it wasn't just a dream. She and Ezra were both groggy as they were led out of the panic room.

As they began to wake up, they became aware of what was going on around them. The power had been turned back on and all the lights were on. It felt too bright after they had spent the night in almost complete darkness.

They watched as a team of medics brought in a gurney and rolled Tommy out on it. There were SWAT and police officers everywhere. A few minutes after Tommy was wheeled out, another medic team appeared for them. They were offered gurneys to be rolled out on, but they both declined.

But before they were allowed to walk on their own, the medics examined them. They were concerned about Ezra having a concussion. They did let him walk but stayed right by his side. Ezra reached for Liv's hand as they were led out of the office and she took it, grateful to have something solid to hold on to.

For the first time, they were able to fully see their surroundings and it was a disaster. As they walked down the hallway, they could see that every office had been torn apart. Files and papers littered the floor and all the drawers and cabinets were open. As they reached the end of the hallway they found the glass walls of two offices were shattered.

"This is crazy," Ezra said.

When they reached the bottom floor it was just as busy with uniformed officers. Outside, the whole street had been closed off and was filled with emergency vehicles. They were led to the back of an ambulance, told to sit and someone wrapped large blankets around them. They sat in a silent daze for a while.

"Hey," Ezra finally said, gently bumping her shoulder with his.

"Hey," she said back, looking at him.

In the morning light, she could fully see the damage done to his face. His left eye was swollen and a ring of purple was beginning to form under it. The bruise on his chin was also turning purple and there was an angry red mark on his right cheek.

"How are you?" he asked.

She grinned. "Probably doing better than you look."

He started to smile but it turned into a painful wince. His hand went to his cheek and he winced again. "Be honest, how bad does it look?"

"Not bad. I'm sure all your model girlfriends will be impressed," she teased.

"Stop," he said through gritted teeth, gently smacking her. "Don't make me smile. It hurts."

"I'm sorry," she said, holding back a smile. "How are you doing?"

He shrugged. His hand moved along his face, finding all the different bruises. "Not too bad, considering the night we had."

"I know," she nodded. "You got punched!"

"Several times. It was a real party."

She laughed. "You have a weird definition of a party." His laugh turned into a groan of pain and he smacked her again. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," she said, trying to block his hits. He scowled. "I'm sorry," she repeated. "I promise, I will only say serious, boring things from now on."

But she was saved from talking about boring things when a police officer approached and began asking them questions.

They walked him through their night, starting with the elevator. It was entertaining to watch the officer's eyebrows steadily rise in amazement as he listened.

"And that's when you decided to create those 'firebombs' and throw them off the roof?" the officer asked.

"Indeed. It was Liv who came up with the brilliant plan," Ezra boasted.