Chemistry XI

Never did I imagine
That you would play a major part
In a decision that's so hard
Do I leave, do I stay, do I go?
_______

"I think we should go back home, Mimi. I told you the last time didn't go so well."

We'd pulled up to The Temple with little time to spare. Our tour was in four minutes and Aminah was excited. On the other hand, I was praying that Onika didn't come out swinging that gun she loved so much.

"It didn't go well because you didn't follow the rules. Plus, I don't think Ms. Onika can resist this cuteness."

Aminah had pulled out her prettiest princess dress, one she'd made me purchase but hadn't worn, yet. She had Solange to fix her hair and paint her nails. According to Aminah, I wasn't convincing enough. With her - now - toothless smile and a few kind words, she promised to do the trick.

Unfortunately, I wasn't part of the plan. Aminah was in it for herself. She didn't care about the separation of Onika and I. She was here on business. That business included the official invitation to her cupcake hour. She refused to believe that Onika meant the no she'd given.

It had been three long weeks without Onika and I wasn't afraid to admit that I regretted every second I'd spent with her that I didn't expose my situation. I had spent the last three weeks righting my wrongs. If Onika found it in her heart to forgive me, I had every intention to slave for her love the rest of our lives. It was that damn good for me.

"I'm going to get your wagon, okay? You can get yourself out and I'll meet you at the sign up there."

I parked my car, got out and opened Aminah's door. My nerves were getting the best of me, causing sweaty palms and shaky hands. This was unfamiliar territory I was walking on, and I'd be damned if the owner of the land didn't have me shook. I watched as Aminah took off for the sign that pointed toward the entry of The Temple. By the time I'd gathered my bearings and made it to the sign, she had taken off.

"Ms. Onika Maraj!" I heard from around the bush that was blocking my view.

Speeding up, I pulled the wagon along to try and catch up to Aminah. The thought of Onika's presence threatened my entire heart. Baby girl had me walking a thin ass line. It was delirious.

"Mimi!" I yelled as she came into clear view.

"Ma, it's Ms. Onika," Mina barked, never halting her stride or turning around. Stopping in my tracks, I shook my head and watched as Aminah continued down the grassy stretch. It was Onika. Onika fucking Maraj and she looked damn good. Her hair flowed down her back with curls all over. It brightened her face and welcomed the smile she wore at the sight of Aminah. It wasn't until she looked up at me that it faded.

My baby is really pissed at me. I thought, finally continuing my stride.

"Hi. I'm Aminah Knowles and I've come to get a tour of your garden. My mother brought all the tickets so we could have this time alone. Ya'know... to discuss why you feel that it is okay to tell a young, amputee that you won't be joining her for cupcakes on her birthday in three days. I mean, what type of monster are you, Ms. Onika Maraj? Don't you have any sympathy for the disabled?"

"Aminah!" I yelled. She was a piece of work.

"Wow. Straight to the point." Onika nodded, bending so that she was eye level with Aminah. "Do you just invite all strangers to your cupcake hour without first meeting them?"

"No, but we're meeting, now. Is that better?"

"How about we discuss it over the tour. I don't want your mom wasting all of her money for us to sit out front. I'd like to show you some really cool things. Do you mind giving me a second to talk to your mother?" Onika asked, penetrating me with her gaze. She was furious. It was written all over her posture.