More Than A Best Friend III

I thought that this was something, yes
Promising that one day it would turn into something, yes
Thought the feelings were mutual
_______

The liquor store was going to be my first stop when I got off work in a few hours. These kids had driven me to drink in the middle of the day, and we were only two weeks into the new school year. But, this is what I loved, and had I not or been qualified for the position I wouldn't be here. Shuffling the few papers on my desk, I listened as a female student complained about the predicament her parents placed her in.

As a high school counselor for seniors looking to further their education, my title required me to wear many hats. Thankfully, I had been made aware of that during the stent of my internship. Some day's I'd be a counselor, a friend, a big sister, and to some of these young hormonal boys, their future baby mama. They came to me for moral support, and would always be able to.

"Nika, that's not fair," she whined.

"It's Ms. Maraj, Araya. And, are you saying it's not fair because you think your sister is doing it on purpose, or because you feel like your parents are showing favoritism?"

"Both. Aloni had her chance to go to college. She did, then ended up pregnant messing around with a no-good dude. Her moving back home with us is a bill my parents are going to foot, which is money that won't be available for my tuition," she huffed, flopping back in the seat across from my desk and folding her arms.

I understood completely where she could get that assumption, but in her parents' defense, they were just helping their daughter. I hoped.

"Did you ask your parent's if it'd be an issue with your tuition now?"

"No. I don't have to. I just know the conversation has been brought up about me going to a local community college instead of one out of state. That's why it's not fair. I shouldn't have to be stuck here because she's going to be. Didn't nobody tell her ass to get pregnant." A little scowl was on her face, and I wanted to chuckle, but I held it together.

"Does she support you?"

"Yes," she mumbled lowly. "Always has."

"And you know how it feels to need support right? A team of people who have your back no matter what? Regardless of what poor decisions you make?"

She nodded again.

"That's exactly what your sister needs. Your support. She may not even know you feel this way. That doesn't mean she got pregnant on purpose, nor does it mean you won't be able to go to college out of state, okay?"

She nodded her head and gave me a verbal response that time. "Okay."

"We can start looking into grants, and scholarships whenever you're ready. It's free money you get for being so smart, kid," I smiled, making her do the same.

And, smart she was. Having access to her school records from the last three years, she never had a GPA below a 4.0. Araya was going to get a full ride to someone's college and didn't even know it. Maybe she did but wanted her parents to pay.

"Thank you Nik- Ms. Maraj," she smirked, standing from her chair. "Can you write me a hall pass to my third-period class with Mr. Maxwell."

"Of course. The last thing we need is you roaming the halls and getting written up without a pass," I said giving her a side eye. She wasn't aware that I knew, but she was dating one of the troublesome little boys here. Skipping class for him was not going to happen on my watch.

Writing up the pass, I handed it to her. "Have a good rest of your day, Araya. Don't let this overwhelm you, okay? Everything will be just fine."

"Okay. Thank you."